Windows 8 RTM 1 August 2012

• conexware

just got notified by Microsoft testing team (PA has been included into their testing for a while now) how one cancel dialogue in installer doesnt look good under 150 dpi - as they are doing Win8 150dpi tests due to the fact that many tablets and laptops will come with 150dpi…

I always find it cool when they notify us of things like that and that they do 3rd party testing to make sure their customers are treated right… so kudos to them 🙂

• always great to feel important…

• Sounds like they have really taken a turn and listened to their customer’s. The core to windows 8 is around end user feedback over the past few years.

Its great they are speaking to 3rd party developers.

It also is a sign that PowerArchiver is seen in Microsoft’s eyes as a core 3rd part product.

• Alpha Testers

@Sir:

Sounds like they have really taken a turn and listened to their customer’s.

I doubt that, if they did listen to their customers “metro” would be history.

• @Luxor:

I doubt that, if they did listen to their customers “metro” would be history.

Exactly. By the time I have modified all the Metro crud out of the way and got my start menu back and disabled the quick start/shut down*, all I am left with is a poor version of Windows 7 that accesses the hard disk a LOT when idle. Many of the UI config options have disappeared too.

*It is a version of hibernation and if one multi-boots and has common partitions, one can get massive disk corruption.

DrT

• conexware

if they simply give back those two options they had in early betas, with start menu and straight to desktop, nobody would have complained at all.

honestly, my original metro apps by MS dont work anymore… i have no idea why 🙂

• Alpha Testers

@spwolf:

honestly, my original metro apps by MS dont work anymore… i have no idea why 🙂

Clue = “by MS” :p

• I’ve had MS Windows 8 installed on a Laptop, but must admit I installed Start8 to bring back the menu.

Other than that I’ve had no major issues. Other than it never likes to shut down fully, often hangs.

But hay ho! the standard PC is being killed off, further sales of tablets and smart phones are up and pc sales are down consistently.

We will all be swiping screens in the next 3 to 5 years. 😃

• All the colour and desktop options have gone. I hate each window having a 4 unit border padding and not being able to change it or the colours - looks like the pastel default Win XP theme <barf>.</barf>

• conexware

Maybe Win Blue will change the tide… and haswell 🙂

Users

Topics