Please Notice: For fastest support from PowerArchiver team, contact us via our Support page

Windows 8 RTM 1 August 2012

• Today, I am excited to announce that Windows 8 has been released to manufacturing (RTM)! This means we’ve completed the product development and testing of the product and have started handing off the final code to our OEM partners. They can now begin preparing new Windows 8 PCs and devices they’ll introduce starting with General Availability. For more on RTM, I suggest reading this blog post from Steven Sinofsky on the Building Windows 8 blog.

So when will folks be able to get their hands on the new Windows 8 RTM code?

People will be able get Windows 8 starting on October 26th either by upgrading for $39.99 or on a new PC or device. And if you buy an eligible Windows 7 PC today, you will be able to purchase an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $14.99 (U.S.) through the Windows Upgrade Offer.

However, we have a number of programs that provides various audiences early access to the Windows 8 RTM code to help prepare for Windows 8 as it enters the marketplace this fall:
    •August 15th: Developers will be able to download the final version of Windows 8 via your MSDN subscriptions.
    •August 15th: IT professionals testing Windows 8 in organizations will be able to access the final version of Windows 8 through your TechNet subscriptions.
    •August 16th: Customers with existing Microsoft Software Assurance for Windows will be able to download Windows 8 Enterprise edition through the Volume License Service Center (VLSC), allowing you to test, pilot and begin adopting Windows 8 Enterprise within your organization.
    •August 16th: Microsoft Partner Network members will have access to Windows 8.
    •August 20th: Microsoft Action Pack Providers (MAPS) receive access to Windows 8.
    •September 1st: Volume License customers without Software Assurance will be able to purchase Windows 8 through Microsoft Volume License Resellers.

More info here.

• conexware

so we will get it quite soon 🙂

• Alpha Testers

opinion on Windows 8 ‘skypx’ ?
    provided of course you’ve had a ‘test-drive’…:)

• conexware

@moles42:

big changes are for Metro/Tablet interface… rest of us get peanuts.

• Alpha Testers

I will be testing it that’s for sure…:D
    I’m sure additional feedback will be forthcoming.

• Alpha Testers

Words cannot describe just how much I hate that Metro Interface. Yuck!

• Alpha Testers

@Luxor:

I think we’ve said similar things throughout windows updates since day one…:D

• Alpha Testers

True enough Moles.
    But Metro belongs on a mobile phone not a computer. :p

• @moles42:

No time for testing, my 1 yr old keeps me busy busy busy. 🙂

• Alpha Testers

@Luxor:

But Metro belongs on a mobile phone not a computer. :p

I pretty much agree with you at first glance…I think it’s the predicted speed increases that interests me though ‘Lux’

can’t say I’m a fan of the gui at present but you can revert to current windows view I’m led to believe if you so wish.

• Alpha Testers

@skypx:

No time for testing, my 1 yr old keeps me busy busy busy. 🙂

yep I hear you buddy…I know which one is more fun…:D

• Alpha Testers

According to the BBC the name Metro has been dropped.
    Microsoft drops ‘Metro’ name for Windows 8

• Alpha Testers

@Luxor:

I believe the Metro Interface will work very nice on Tablets and Mobile Phones. I have Windows Phone 7.5 on my mobile and the Metro Gui works excellent.

The problem here is that Metro isn’t designed to be used with a keyboard and a mouse. I don’t understand how MS could come up with this idea of mixing two totally different GUI:s with each other.

• conexware

@Micke:

I believe the Metro Interface will work very nice on Tablets and Mobile Phones. I have Windows Phone 7.5 on my mobile and the Metro Gui works excellent.

The problem here is that Metro isn’t designed to be used with a keyboard and a mouse. I don’t understand how MS could come up with this idea of mixing two totally different GUI:s with each other.

they did it to make us (developers) develop for Metro… i think it was pretty bad decision myself but we will see i guess.

• I hate Metro and cannot use it.

More seriously, 8 uses hibernation by default and the way MSoft has implemented it, leads to file corruption.
    Checkout http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_cp-files/bug-report-serious-filesystem-corruption-and-data/17f69e19-92ca-4e1e-b9d5-f78f1ac4e963

• @Luxor:

ha ha…
    I hate Metro, too.
    I cannot use it 😕😕

• The kicker is that MSoft is removing the desktop option AND making sure that those hacks that bring it back do not work.

• I’ve read a lot about win8. Good and bad. I’m going to reserve my comments until I install the RTM version. I should have access to it on the 15th.

• Well, I’m kinda nervous about PC gaming when it comes to Windows 8. Valve head honcho, Gabe Newell just called Windows 8 a catastrophe for the PC. This is a guy with an inside knowledge of Windows 8 capabilities and limitations.

I guess the biggest problem with Windows 8 is the fact that they want to create a similar ecosystem to Apple via an app store.

Well Valve is trying out Steam for Ubuntu just to make sure that PC gaming will still be viable in case Windows 8 goes belly up like Vista.

• Oh my goodness…… I really thought people were bashing windows 8 for no reason. So far the only thing I like about it is IE10 the rest does not belong on a laptop or desktop.

IMO the UI is fugly!

90% of the default apps are useless (for my proposes). If fact the only one I found useful was the weather app.

And the 1 thing I dislike most is I had to activate the installation before I could start customizing. In fact it would not install without the product key.

I am definitely keeping win7 on my laptop and desktop!

Looks like your connection to PowerArchiver Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.