7-zip problems AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN…..

• I am constantly having similar problems to this guy http://www.powerarchiver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738 and I’m using PA 2006 9.5 Beta 2. I have always had troubles with 7-zip with PA. I use PA to compress many thousands of files with many subfolders and when its done and I open up the archive, one folder is missing from it. The same things done on WinRAR has NO problems and all files and folders are present.

I’m really sick of this, and now use WinRAR. So you PA people can scoff and say no such problems exist like you do all the damn time, since no-one else seems to be using PA with 7-zip files.

I’m also on Win XP SP2.

Oh, and don’t tell me that Beta 3 will fix this problem, cuz nothing seems to fix it.

• When I tried to compress 150 PSD file of about 30 Megabytes each. It wold go through the compressing stage, but when it finish is said it could not find the directory. When I put only 30 of these PSD files into a zip file it worked ok. This was with Beta 1 of 9.5 I have not tried it with Beta 2 :rolleyes:

Windows XP SP2

• conexware

@HandsomeGuy:

I am constantly having similar problems to this guy http://www.powerarchiver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738 and I’m using PA 2006 9.5 Beta 2. I have always had troubles with 7-zip with PA. I use PA to compress many thousands of files with many subfolders and when its done and I open up the archive, one folder is missing from it. The same things done on WinRAR has NO problems and all files and folders are present.

I’m really sick of this, and now use WinRAR. So you PA people can scoff and say no such problems exist like you do all the damn time, since no-one else seems to be using PA with 7-zip files.

I’m also on Win XP SP2.

Oh, and don’t tell me that Beta 3 will fix this problem, cuz nothing seems to fix it.

What settings were you using? You have to explain the problem in more detail.
    Nobody is saying “such problems dont exist”, it is just that they need to be reported. 20 people tested 7zip support for 3 months, obviously they did not do what you are doing, somehow :-).

thanks,

• @HandsomeGuy:

I am constantly having similar problems to this guy http://www.powerarchiver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738

Sorry, I don’t want to start an argument but for the situation where I encountered the problem (as I described in that thread) it is fixed in beta 3.
    You reported the same problem in http://www.powerarchiver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437 but with too little details to confirm if it was exactly the same problem/procedure so in that sense you are correct, I cannot say if it will be fixed for you or not.

@HandsomeGuy:

So you PA people can scoff and say no such problems exist like you do all the damn time

I’m a PA user - not sure if that makes me one of the “PA people” or not.
    However, I like PA and so try to help other users where I can. I am not aware that I (or other regular posters here in the forums) have ever “scoffed” and said the problem does not exist. Although we should always remember that this is an international forum, not all posters have English as their first language.

Saying I/we cannot reproduce the problem with the limited information/details provided
    simply means either there is not enough to try, or that I/we have tried - but obviously something was different to way the reporter is using PA. Hence I/we have to ask for as much detail as possible (even to going step by step).

@HandsomeGuy:

I have always had troubles with 7-zip with PA. I use PA to compress many thousands of files with many subfolders and when its done and I open up the archive, one folder is missing from it.

Is this the “other problem” you hinted at (but did not describe like this) in http://www.powerarchiver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981 ?

Anyway, regarding this:
    Do you have even a feel for a number when you say “many thousands of files” and “many subfolders”?
    Does the problem only happen when you compress more than one thousand - so there is no problem with 800 for example? (I have used 7z compression on a folder containing 9378 files in 734 sub-folders and not seen this problem).

• Just a thought - could it be that the “missing folder” in the archive was empty (no files or also only empty sub-folders)?
    There was a problem with this particular situation but I cannot remember if it was 7z or another format.

• Well, where can I begin…

I have my 7-zip at the default settings, except that I have enabled Solid Archives and Ultra memory compression settings.

I tried to compress X-Setup Pro 7.1 which contains 10 folders and 1,051 files totalling 11.9MB.

Also, XBMC which contains 11 folders and 1,352 files totalling 152MB.

Now what really gets to me is how easy this problem has been happening for me and a few others, yet PA “testers” cannot get those problems.

Like I said, don’t bother fixing it, I have given up really. PA was good before, but now with WinRAR so much more rleiable and faster, who needs the crappy unstable PA anyways. And to think I really liked PA once.

Maybe the 7-zip feature zupport should be removed altogether.

• @TBGBe:

Just a thought - could it be that the “missing folder” in the archive was empty (no files or also only empty sub-folders)?
    There was a problem with this particular situation but I cannot remember if it was 7z or another format.

Even if a folder is empty, i expect it to be compressed if I have selected it. This isn’t a feature, this is a damn stupid bug.

• conexware

@HandsomeGuy:

Well, where can I begin…

I have my 7-zip at the default settings, except that I have enabled Solid Archives and Ultra memory compression settings.

I tried to compress X-Setup Pro 7.1 which contains 10 folders and 1,051 files totalling 11.9MB.

Now what really gets to me is how easy this problem has been happening for me and a few others, yet PA “testers” cannot get those problems.

Like I said, don’t bother fixing it, I have given up really. PA was good before, but now with WinRAR so much more rleiable and faster, who needs the crappy unstable PA anyways. And to think I really liked PA once.

Maybe the 7-zip feature zupport should be removed altogether.

and what happens actually when you compress it to 7zip?

• @HandsomeGuy:

OK, I don’t know so did a Google for "XBMC"
    Result -> http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/
    Went to the Downloads page and selected:-
    (Source Files) XBMC_src-v1.1.0.rar
    Size : 67,136,925

With PA 9.5(beta3) installed:

Explorer Shell - PowerArchiver->Extract to folder XBMC_src-v1.1.0

Folder XBMC_src-v1.1.0 Size: 194,504,076 :: 5759 Files :: 527 Folders
    Now I realise this is not what you were trying to report, but still I’ve got this far…

Explorer Shell - Folder - PowerArchiver->Compress with Options…

Format : 7z
    Add Files
    Active Options :: Ultra, Include System & Hidden Files, Solid

This gave me XBMC_src-v1.1.0.7z
    Size : 58,394,962 😃

Again Explorer Shell - PowerArchiver->Extract to … > XBMC_src-v1.1.7z

Folder XBMC_src-v1.1.7z Size: 194,504,076 :: 5759 Files :: 527 Folders

So I’m back to
    @TBGBe:

I have tried - but obviously something was different to way the reporter is using PA.

😕

• @spwolf:

and what happens actually when you compress it to 7zip?

Read the top of the post man.
    But basically, i’m losing folders/files that are shown up once you open the 7-zip archive to the contents I compressed. So in other words, what i’m compressing contails 111 folders and 1500 files, the 7-zip file shows there are 1495 files and 108 folders.

• @TBGBe:

OK, I don’t know so did a Google for "XBMC"
    Result -> http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/
    Went to the Downloads page and selected:-
    (Source Files) XBMC_src-v1.1.0.rar
    Size : 67,136,925

With PA 9.5(beta3) installed:

Explorer Shell - PowerArchiver->Extract to folder XBMC_src-v1.1.0

Folder XBMC_src-v1.1.0 Size: 194,504,076 :: 5759 Files :: 527 Folders
    Now I realise this is not what you were trying to report, but still I’ve got this far…

Explorer Shell - Folder - PowerArchiver->Compress with Options…

Format : 7z
    Add Files
    Active Options :: Ultra, Include System & Hidden Files, Solid

This gave me XBMC_src-v1.1.0.7z
    Size : 58,394,962 😃

Again Explorer Shell - PowerArchiver->Extract to … > XBMC_src-v1.1.7z

So I’m back to

😕

Well, there is something very wrong here, because whenever I do that same step, I lose files/folders during compression.
    Also, I don’t right click and select “extract to”, i open the file in PA and extract that way. But I still rightclick and compress files to 7-zip. I have 1GB of memory, so I doubt its memory related, even though I know 7-zip is a very big system hog.

Are there other programs apart from 7-zip and PA that has full support for 7-zip files?

• conexware

@HandsomeGuy:

Read the top of the post man.
    But basically, i’m losing folders/files that are shown up once you open the 7-zip archive to the contents I compressed. So in other words, what i’m compressing contails 111 folders and 1500 files, the 7-zip file shows there are 1495 files and 108 folders.

I have to ask questions, trying to determine what is actually happening. It went from 1 folder missing, to 3 folders and 5 files. Do you know what were these folders & files, anything specific about them?

It really has absolutly nothing to do with bug report you have linked in your first post, since that has been fixed.

For Terry’s post, I checked on empty folders and indeed PA does not save empty folders for 7zip. This is something we can add/fix in the next release.

Only way we can see and find these things is if people ask questions and try to reproduce it.

We are thankful for any kind of bug report, since anything will show us some error, but more info you give, it will be fixed sooner and easier.

thanks,

• conexware

@HandsomeGuy:

Well, there is something very wrong here, because whenever I do that same step, I lose files/folders during compression.
    Also, I don’t right click and select “extract to”, i open the file in PA and extract that way. But I still rightclick and compress files to 7-zip. I have 1GB of memory, so I doubt its memory related, even though I know 7-zip is a very big system hog.

Are there other programs apart from 7-zip and PA that has full support for 7-zip files?

How are you selecting these files? Are you selecting files/folder inside the folder or just an original folder? Is “normal relative path” option in config enabled?

Did you actually try extracting the files to the hard drive and comparing them?

thanks!

• @spwolf:

I have to ask questions, trying to determine what is actually happening. It went from 1 folder missing, to 3 folders and 5 files. Do you know what were these folders & files, anything specific about them?

It really has absolutly nothing to do with bug report you have linked in your first post, since that has been fixed.

For Terry’s post, I checked on empty folders and indeed PA does not save empty folders for 7zip. This is something we can add/fix in the next release.

Only way we can see and find these things is if people ask questions and try to reproduce it.

We are thankful for any kind of bug report, since anything will show us some error, but more info you give, it will be fixed sooner and easier.

thanks,

No, I don’t know anything about the folders concerned. I can’t be bothered looking at whats missing or why. I just know that some files/folders are missing and I delete the 7-zip archive and use WinRAR instead.

I don’t know what other info I can give to help you guys.

• @HandsomeGuy:

Also, I don’t right click and select “extract to”, i open the file in PA and extract that way. But I still rightclick and compress files to 7-zip

OK, using the XBMC_src-v1.1.0.7z I created above…

Double click to open in PA.
    Toolbar extract button -
    Enter Foldername XBMC_src-v1.1.7z

Menu : Actions ->Extract
    Enter Foldername XBMC_src-v1.1.7z2

Folder XBMC_src-v1.1.7z2 Size: 194,504,076 :: 5759 Files :: 527 Folders

Switch PA to Explorer View
    Status shows 5759 Files :: 527 Folders
    Click on XBMC_src-v1.1.0 and drag onto explorer window
    Folder XBMC_src-v1.1.0 Size: 194,504,076 :: 5759 Files :: 526 Folders

However - this is correct because, of course, the main folder “XBMC_src-v1.1.0” is not included!
    Is this where you believe you were “losing” one folder?

• @TBGBe:

OK, using the XBMC_src-v1.1.0.7z I created above…

Double click to open in PA.
    Toolbar extract button -
    Enter Foldername XBMC_src-v1.1.7z

Menu : Actions ->Extract
    Enter Foldername XBMC_src-v1.1.7z2

Folder XBMC_src-v1.1.7z2 Size: 194,504,076 :: 5759 Files :: 527 Folders

Switch PA to Explorer View
    Status shows 5759 Files :: 527 Folders
    Click on XBMC_src-v1.1.0 and drag onto explorer window
    Folder XBMC_src-v1.1.0 Size: 194,504,076 :: 5759 Files :: 526 Folders

However - this is correct because, of course, the main folder “XBMC_src-v1.1.0” is not included!
    Is this where you believe you were “losing” one folder?

No, this is not where I was losing files/folders as I never compress from the top folder. I always compress the same way I do in ALL programs, including PA and WinRAR. Its not an error on my part people, i’m not a novice with computers and compression programs. Its not my 1st cup of tea.

• @HandsomeGuy:

@HandsomeGuy:

No, this is not where I was losing files/folders as I never compress from the top folder.

Now I am completely lost! Both statements cannot be correct.

I’m back to
    @TBGBe:

I have tried - but obviously something’s different to way {you are} using PA.

• sounds like this guy is a reseller of winrar as i have followed his stepps and can not reproduce it on either a windows 2000 machine or a windows 98

• sounds like this guy is a reseller of winrar as i have followed his stepps and can not reproduce it on either a windows 2000 machine or a windows 98, i was aked to be a reseller but turned it down as i know for a fact taht pa is a better and more supported archive program

• @davidsplash:

sounds like this guy is a reseller of winrar as i have followed his stepps and can not reproduce it on either a windows 2000 machine or a windows 98, i was aked to be a reseller but turned it down as i know for a fact taht pa is a better and more supported archive program

Man, I am NOT a damn reseller of any software. I really don’t care if people use PA or WinRAR or Winzip or whatever else. I only moved to WinRAR because of problems with 7-zip. I even said I always liked PA, but these 7-zip problems have been a real pain in the ass and I’ve had enough of it not being fixed. But hey, if thinking I am a WinRAR seller turns you on, then enjoy it man.

Users

Topics