Tar issue



  • I have the latest version of PA (2016) Windows 10 and I am getting permissions errors, files are not valid etc when extracting TAR files from a folder downloaded from our host.

    I have not experienced these errors before, or had to start PA as admin (what a crock), I have used PA to extract backup folders from our host for years.

    See error warnings

    http://www.ripefruit.com/images/pa-1.jpg

    http://www.ripefruit.com/images/pa-2.jpg

    PA, sort it out. The only thing thats changed is PA



  • If PowerArchiver has any doubts, I just downloaded and installed 7-Zip.

    I ran 7-Zip, extracted the file in under a minute.

    No errors, no permission issues, no admin user, no issues except a simple extraction.

    Plus 7-Zip is free software, not paid like my version of PA

    Very disappointing PowerArchiver


  • conexware

    Thank you for letting us know. What version of PA are you using, and is it possible to send us example tar file that doesnt work?

    Thanks.



  • I have had to use 7-zip on 3 occasions today to first extract the contents of a TAR file, and then I was able to use PA to extract the files located within a sub folder so it looks to me like the issue is the downloaded TAR folder.


  • Alpha Testers

    Try the latest version of Power Archiver first. (16.10.14).
    If you don’t fancy attaching one of the files here you can always just post the URL where you downloaded one of them.


  • conexware

    @ripefruit:

    I have had to use 7-zip on 3 occasions today to first extract the contents of a TAR file, and then I was able to use PA to extract the files located within a sub folder so it looks to me like the issue is the downloaded TAR folder.

    can you please update to latest release:
    http://dl.powerarchiver.com/2016/powarc161014.exe

    And let us know if it works properly. I remember we solved some issues with tar engine. Basically what is likely happening (cant be sure without example) is that unix filesystem allows more characters in file and folder names. They cant be extracted properly in Windows file system as is, that would return an “permissions” error. We have workarounds for these, but it is possible that some version introduced new issue, I remember us talking about something similar few months ago - so it is either fixed due to report or we re-introduced the issue in latest release.

    Thanks for checking it out!


 

7
Online

9.8k
Users

6.0k
Topics

36.8k
Posts