PACL 8.0 Beta 1

• Alpha Testers

@spwolf:

for regular SFX I agree… but it would be nice addition to our SFX that delivers PACL.

We have to build new SFX that takes advantage of .pa format anyway.

Then why not go the whole way and make a proper install program.

• conexware

@Brian:

Then why not go the whole way and make a proper install program.

you mean for PACL? It does not need it. It never writes anything to the registry, it is self sufficient. Am I too old school for thinking it should not be “installed”?

• I don’t know how much work writing an installer and creating an UAC aware SFX module are.

• Having an UAC aware SFX module would be nice for all people distributing software in SFX archives, as the target directory is mostly C:\Program Files<afolder>. So not only PACL would benefit from this.
    • I understand your point that this is probably unneeded and unwanted for inexperienced users and archives which don’t contain programs. But a better error message like “insufficient write privileges” would be extremely helpful in this case.</afolder>

• Alpha Testers

@spwolf:

you mean for PACL? It does not need it. It never writes anything to the registry, it is self sufficient. Am I too old school for thinking it should not be “installed”?

I agree.

And that’s why I myself would never put it in a out of site folder under “C:\Program Files” where I might forget about it and would need elevated privileges to put it there.

I always put PACL somewhere else like C:\PACL so that I know it wasn’t “installed” in the usual sense and therefore I will always know what to do should I need to remove it later.

• conexware

@BigMike:

I don’t know how much work writing an installer and creating an UAC aware SFX module are.

• Having an UAC aware SFX module would be nice for all people distributing software in SFX archives, as the target directory is mostly C:\Program Files<afolder>. So not only PACL would benefit from this.
    • I understand your point that this is probably unneeded and unwanted for inexperienced users and archives which don’t contain programs. But a better error message like “insufficient write privileges” would be extremely helpful in this case.</afolder>

BikMike, I was thinking about PACL installer, which is an SFX… not actually creating an installer software in general :-).

• conexware

• @adrianyujs Thanks you can also check ! https://arynews.tv/en/category/pakistan/

Users

Topics