WinRAR 5 has a rather useful option in some cases, which is to be able to create an archive by replacing identical files with a reference to the first occurrence (hardlink) within the archive.
In case you choose to convert the file with PowerArchiver to another format, however, the resulting archive does not have all the files. It does not consider those that were present as hardlinks.
If you do a normal extraction of the RAR archive instead, even with PowerArchivier, all the files are extracted correctly.
When adding to a file archive, and selecting for example PA format, strong optimization method, extreme compression. In the Advanced Options section you change to Automatic, EXE Filter and PDF filter . You return to the main section and save the Profile. When you then reload the profile you do not have the Automatic options of EXE Filter and PDF saved there.
I noticed that instead if you change other options they are saved correctly (except for the Filter box values).
Also among the various changes to the advanced options you click the “Calculate RAM usage” button the value seems to be added to the previous one. You can see it for example just by clicking the button twice in a row, the value changes. Edit: actually after many attempts now it seems to write a stable value (it does not change with each click). Maybe a synchronization problem in the calculation?
Used PowerArchivier 2023 but there is the same behavior with the 2022
Another possible tar/gz/tgz problem
I tried opening a .tgz file in PA 12.00.41 via a webpage link directly, and I get a folder named “COROUTINE-1.0.tgz-1.tar” with no contents. However, if I download the file first instead of opening it directly, PA can open and deal with the file no problem.
The webpage is: http://www.akira.ruc.dk/~keld/research/COROUTINE/
The link is: http://www.akira.ruc.dk/~keld/research/COROUTINE/COROUTINE-1.0.tgz
I’m not sure if this is really a problem with PA, something to do with how the link is setup on the webpage, a problem with Firefox 3.6.17, or just a problem on my system.
I thought I’d mention it here just in case, but if it’s not something that can or should be addressed by PA, please just ignore the post.
coroutines are cool, used in our engines :-)
Maybe this coroutine library will help squash a bug in PA, without even having to use them in your code!
(Though I hope its just something with the link or Firefox).
it is indeed due to the naming in Firefox… It is actually server configuration problem, but I do believe that other browsers try to fix them on the fly.
We will see if we can do anything about it… In Chrome it works fine, and in IE it renames it even worse.
davidsplash last edited by
one idea would be for power archiver to download the file in the background to a special temp folder for this purpose and once you close the archive to delete it.