Please Notice: For fastest support from PowerArchiver team, contact us via our Support page

What's the difference between the evaluation and the registered version of PACL 6.01?

• Alpha Testers

Hi!
    In the page for PACL it says the following thing about the evaluation version.

Without a registration key, PACL will display a notice before each command.

Maybe I’m doing something wrong here, but I can’t see any difference between the registered and the evaluation version of PACL 6.01. I don’t get any notice before each command in the evaluation version, but maybe I have missed something here.

I’m using Windows XP with SP3

Kind Regards
    Micke

• I can’t remember for sure, but I think it is the wording of the output “header” - just states “registered” or “evaluation”.

P.S. why have you not input the reg code?

• Alpha Testers

@TBGBe:

P.S. why have you not input the reg code?

I have entered the reg code and registered the application. I just noticed that I couldn’t see any difference when I used the registered version compared to the evaluation version.

Kind Regards
    Micke

• conexware

only difference is in header, it says unregistered/registered.

• Alpha Testers

@spwolf:

only difference is in header, it says unregistered/registered.

Thanks, that explains why I didn’t see any difference between the evaluation version and the registered version. The reason for starting this thread was because I thought something was wrong when I couldn’t see any difference between the two versions. Now when I have the answer I have some opinion about it. You don’t have to agree with me, but I still want to share them with you.

Personally I would have expected some limitations in the evaluation version of PACL that still allowed the user to evaluate the program to see if it works as expected and will fill the need the user have for such a program.

Example of limitation could be a small message after running each command like This is day 1 of your 30 days evaluation, press ENTER to continue

For a user like me that uses batch or scripts in combination with PACL this would be a limitation, but I would still be able to evaluate the program even with this annoying message. After registry the program, the message would disappear.

The advantage for the user with this is that the user will get a feeling of getting something for the money the program costs.

One of the critical question is: Why should a user buy the program for $7.95 instead of continue using the evaluation version

One answer could be a personal satisfaction of supporting developing of good software, but I reality the user gets no extra functionality at all by registry the program. The functionality is the same and the message is the same after each command except for in the registered version it says Registered to: Name and the evaluation version says Shareware version.

I think that coneXware will loose potential buyers of this software because of having too generous functionality in the evaluation version of PACL. If you disagree with me about this, ask yourself how many people would have bought PowerArchiver if the nag screen wasn’t visible in the unregistered version of the program. Some people would have bought the program, but I don’t think it would have been as many as there’s today.

The nag screen have a purpose of encourage people to buy the program I don’t see any reason for having a corresponding message in PACL with a pause after each command that the user would have to press the ENTER button to continue.

This message is already far to long 🙂 but I have one more thing to say. I’m very satisfied with PACL and the more I use it, the more I like it. If the current small difference in the evaluation and the registered version is working as expected, it’s ok for me. I will continue use the program and also looking forward future versions of it.

Kind Regards
    Micke

Looks like your connection to PowerArchiver Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.