WinRAR 5 has a rather useful option in some cases, which is to be able to create an archive by replacing identical files with a reference to the first occurrence (hardlink) within the archive.
In case you choose to convert the file with PowerArchiver to another format, however, the resulting archive does not have all the files. It does not consider those that were present as hardlinks.
If you do a normal extraction of the RAR archive instead, even with PowerArchivier, all the files are extracted correctly.
When adding to a file archive, and selecting for example PA format, strong optimization method, extreme compression. In the Advanced Options section you change to Automatic, EXE Filter and PDF filter . You return to the main section and save the Profile. When you then reload the profile you do not have the Automatic options of EXE Filter and PDF saved there.
I noticed that instead if you change other options they are saved correctly (except for the Filter box values).
Also among the various changes to the advanced options you click the “Calculate RAM usage” button the value seems to be added to the previous one. You can see it for example just by clicking the button twice in a row, the value changes. Edit: actually after many attempts now it seems to write a stable value (it does not change with each click). Maybe a synchronization problem in the calculation?
Used PowerArchivier 2023 but there is the same behavior with the 2022
Directory properties inheritance
Whenever I drag a file from an archive in a PA window, and drop it into a compressed directory, the extracted file is never compressed. I always have to manually compress the extracted file(s) afterward.
When I do the same using WinRAR, the file is compressed properly. This is as expected since the file(s) should inherit the compressed flag from the directory.
Isn’t this a semi-serious problem? I often extract to compressed folders, and I’m constantly having to manually compress the files after I’ve extracted them.
what exactly do you mean by a compressed folder?
in Windows explorer or within an archive in PA?
I’m talking about extracting files from PA to directories that have NTFS compression enabled. When I do this with PA, the files do not become (NTFS) compressed automatically, as they should. When I drag from WinRAR–same file, from the same archive, to the same directory–the files are compressed as they should be.
I’ll see if I can create a video of this…
Here’s a video (in a 7-Zip archive) that shows it very clearly. Note that I had to give the attached file (which, again, is actually a 7-Zip archive) the XLS extension in order to post it, because of the forum attachment size limit configuration. Obviously, change the extension to 7Z to make it work.
The default video size may not be ideal. On my system, I have to maximize the video window to see it clearly.
This was extremely easy to reproduce it. While I used PA, I encountered this every day.
i should have said we reproduced it long time ago :-). Sorry for the trouble.