PAComp does not run quietly

• I am using PAComp (PACL version 3.51) as part of a Win XP/2K batch script to backup and compress selected folders.

I can not run the utility in quiet mode using the -q switch anyway. I worked around that problem redirecting the screen output to > Nul, but is that a version’s bug? I tried everything on the command line to suppress output with no result.

And by the way it should help if a future release can create a missing destination directory as Xcopy does (now I am forced to test for existence before issuing the PAComp command via the IF not exist statetement and then to run a MD command).

Thanks in advance from a registerd user.

• I am using PACL version 4.01 with Windows XP Professional.

I am in the process of testing PACL 4.01 (PACOMP.EXE) and have discovered that the -q (quiet) switch does not work as expected. I have a work around by using the -l"nul" switch to send the output to the nul device. This also prevents the console bell from ringing. It does not however prevent the PACL program banner from appearing. Alternately, I can also redirect the output to a log file as well. In my humble opinion, the -q (quiet) switch should not only work, but it should also prevent the PACL program banner from appearing as well. I.E. -q (quiet) should mean just that. The -q (quiet) switch would likely be used from the scheduler when performing archival tasks and you would not want or need any console output whatsoever.

Thanks much.

HLB

• conexware

@hlb:

I am using PACL version 4.01 with Windows XP Professional.

I am in the process of testing PACL 4.01 (PACOMP.EXE) and have discovered that the -q (quiet) switch does not work as expected. I have a work around by using the -l"nul" switch to send the output to the nul device. This also prevents the console bell from ringing. It does not however prevent the PACL program banner from appearing. Alternately, I can also redirect the output to a log file as well. In my humble opinion, the -q (quiet) switch should not only work, but it should also prevent the PACL program banner from appearing as well. I.E. -q (quiet) should mean just that. The -q (quiet) switch would likely be used from the scheduler when performing archival tasks and you would not want or need any console output whatsoever.

Thanks much.

HLB

Hi,

what -quiet switch means in this case is that PACL will not ask you anything during its work.

regards,

Users

Topics