Unzipping multiple password-protected files?

• I have a backup set created by a different program that contains a few thousand files, in which each file is compressed and encrypted individually with the standard ZIP algorithm and AES-256. There is also a directory structure.

Example:
    Directory 1 - file 1.zip
    file 2.zip
    file 3.zip
    Subdirectory 1 - file 1.zip
    file 2.zip
    file 3.zip
    Directory 2 - file 1.zip
    file 2.zip
    file 3.zip
    file 4.zip
    and so on

Now, I would to extract a couple of hundred files from this backup with PowerArchiver (I do not like the restoration procedure that this other program offers).

I have two problems:

a) PowerArchiver asked me for the password for each file. However, the password is the same for every file in the backup set. Can I make PowerArchiver remember the password and only ask me again if a different password is required within an unzipping session?

b) The existing directory structure got lost. All files - no matter which directory they were located in - were extracted into one single directory. Can I do anything about that?

• conexware

a. At this point you can use PPM? (check options)
    b. what about using extract to filename\subfolder?

thanks,

• @spwolf:

a. At this point you can use PPM? (check options)
    b. what about using extract to filename\subfolder?

a) I looked into the options and the password manager is enabled (i.e. there is a cross in the appropriate checkbox). But still PowerArchiver does not remember the password, I have to enter it for every archive. What could be the reason for that?
    All the archive (ZIP) files have different names, but that shouldn’t be a problem, right? They all have the same password.

Since it is folder with many subfolders and many individually compressed ZIP files, I went to PowerArchiver’s Tools and used its multi-unpack function (I am not sure if that is the right term, I have a German version here).

• conexware

ah, yes - PPM works per file :-).

I believe that upcoming PA 2007 will have some changes to help in this case.

• OK, good to know. Thanks for your replies.

Users

Topics