WinRAR 5 has a rather useful option in some cases, which is to be able to create an archive by replacing identical files with a reference to the first occurrence (hardlink) within the archive.
In case you choose to convert the file with PowerArchiver to another format, however, the resulting archive does not have all the files. It does not consider those that were present as hardlinks.
If you do a normal extraction of the RAR archive instead, even with PowerArchivier, all the files are extracted correctly.
When adding to a file archive, and selecting for example PA format, strong optimization method, extreme compression. In the Advanced Options section you change to Automatic, EXE Filter and PDF filter . You return to the main section and save the Profile. When you then reload the profile you do not have the Automatic options of EXE Filter and PDF saved there.
I noticed that instead if you change other options they are saved correctly (except for the Filter box values).
Also among the various changes to the advanced options you click the “Calculate RAM usage” button the value seems to be added to the previous one. You can see it for example just by clicking the button twice in a row, the value changes. Edit: actually after many attempts now it seems to write a stable value (it does not change with each click). Maybe a synchronization problem in the calculation?
Used PowerArchivier 2023 but there is the same behavior with the 2022
Strange lockup bug after updating
I deinstalled V9.x something and installed 9.50.
Got new key etc. rebooted some times.
Now if I click on any Archive and select “unpack”
or something, or even when I try to start pa.exe
directly over the start menu, explorer.exe goes
up to 99% simply locking the whole pc as long Pa.exe
is running. It seems the explorer calling code is
going mad somewhere …
I uninstalled 9.50 several times and reinstalled it, but
no avail. I went back to 9.x because of this strange
WinXP2 with all actual fixes. No explorer plugins except
Im puzzled :confused:
TBGBe last edited by
That is strange.
Do you have AntiVirus that could be conflicting with PA?
Maybe exclude PA directory from RunTime checking or whatever the option is.
That hit the spot - somehow.
I found out, that f-prot needs about 20secs cpuload
to scan trough powerarchiver.exe (all other files,
even much larger exe up to 20mb it flys over in a sec).
Then I updated the .exe of f-prot to the newest version
(16c from 16a) this delay got down of about 1/3 of the
old version time.
Im puzzled, because I run fprot for 3 years now and thisis the first time the realtimeprotector chokes on a file :rolleyes: It’s on all time and does a very good job.
Unfortunately, there is no way to turn off protections
for certain files/dirs in f-prot now as written in the
Since f-prot makes updates nearly every day to their signature files, I would make sense to send them the powerarchiver.exe so they can investigate the problem.
Since the delay is bugging but “acceptable” for now, I will live with it and report any factfindings/update from f-prot to this thread for further reference.
We are using some compression/encryption on our EXE file in 9.5, but so far we haven’t found any problems with most anti-virus programs, so please inform us when you get any reply from F-PROT support.
For the record:
I uploaded teh PA.exe to F-Prot and they send me
a nice mail that they looking into it (31. Oct 05)
With the update of today (03. November 2005)
(which seemed to be a little larger than usual)
the timeout/locking of the machine handling archives
was complete gone. If I click on a zip or want to
unpack it, it runs like it should on my A64 :p
thats pretty and fast from f-prot, kudos to them!