Win 11 64 bit
I have some archives which have been encrypted, using the encrypt option either in pbs or when interactively creating a zip. When I open these, and look at files, I am asked for passwords, which I know, and then can view items or decrypt the files in the archive (tools>decrypt files).
However, when I use the Actions>Remove Archive Encryption (whether using the same zip or asking to write another), the routine shows progress bar to the end, but then just hangs i.e. “OK” never activates. All process information shows this stalled/hanging.
What can I do to sort this out?
Download this ZIP file: http://dslstats.me.uk/files/dslstats32W-6.5.zip
Everything in the ZIP file is in a directory “dslstats32W-6.5”.
However when I extract using right click “Extract Here” the name of the directory created is “2W-6.5” !
I am running PA 22.00.09 on Windows 11. I have seen the same happen with some other kinds of archive too.
If I compress a folder to a .pa using right click, Compress to folder.pa and use the new Windows 11 menu then the Options, Configuration, Miscellaneous, Use normal relative path setting is always enabled.
But I like this option disabled so I have to use the old style menu in order to get PA to compress a folder in the way I wish.
Just tried using the Modern (Windows 10) Icon set and seeing a few missing icons in both PowerArchiver Burner and PowerArchiver Encryption screens . They are all there in the Minimalistik icon set and the only difference I can see is the former is blue and the latter grey. In version 22.00.9
there were some security issues fixed in 7zip:
As it seems, that PowerArchiver and PACL use the 7zip libraries, could you please update them to the latest version?
I noticed that the version of ZPAQ used is older than the latest released 7.15 https://mattmahoney.net/dc/zpaq.html also there seems to be a newer fork that adds several features https://github.com/fcorbelli/zpaqfranz
It would be useful to implement this latest version (it also maintains the same syntax and behavior as the latest official release if used the -715 flag) and add when opening a zpaq file a choice of the version of the files to show (e.g. as dummy folders represented the various versions present). Since any previous changes are stored with this format, it is possible to extract a snapshot of a certain date/version.
If I open a password-protected zipper file (created with WinRAR but I think that’s irrelevant), open it with PowerArchiver and run “Remove Encryption” on the same file, then reopen it and add a password with “Encrypt Archive,” the resulting archive will be protected with the old ZipCrypto algorithm and not AES as indicated.
(this can be verified, for example, by trying to open the archive files with Windows Explorer, which does not support the AES algorithm)
Unsolved Convert archive is incorrect for some WinRAR 5 archives
WinRAR 5 has a rather useful option in some cases, which is to be able to create an archive by replacing identical files with a reference to the first occurrence (hardlink) within the archive.
In case you choose to convert the file with PowerArchiver to another format, however, the resulting archive does not have all the files. It does not consider those that were present as hardlinks.
If you do a normal extraction of the RAR archive instead, even with PowerArchivier, all the files are extracted correctly.
Thanks very much for the details!
We have logged the issue in and would like to as you to send us a sample file to support at conexware dot com which we will use for reference for further testing.
@mili Email sent. The test RAR file was created with a public dataset (silesia set https://mattmahoney.net/dc/silesia.html).
thanks very much for the file @werve !!
I’ve tested converting the archive and found that the test2 folder that is inside the archive is omitted when converting.
Also, PowerArchiver shows a CRC error when extracting the same archive.
In further testing, tried converting https://mattmahoney.net/dc/silesia.zip and that worked properly.
We have logged the issue in and will take a look to fix it.
Thanks again very much for your help!