For some reason, the PowerArchiver functions in the Windows 11 context menu no longer work after the last Windows Update. Only the functions in the classic context menu function as they should.
I’ve tried uninstalling PowerArchiver and using RevoUninstaller to remove all bits and pieces that were left behind and did a clean install of PowerArchiver, it didn’t fix the issue. Other items in the Windows 11 context menu work.
This appears to be happening again with the Power Archiver 2022 shell extensions.
When I have Use Explorer Shell Extensions enabled in Power Archiver Configuration and right-click on c:\Users\username\Start Menu, (hidden Junction file), File Explorer crashes.
I have version 21.00.15 (03/2022) 64-bit installed in Windows 10 Version 21H2 (Build 19044.1826).
In the latest version of PA, on W11 (latest build/SP) when you try to use the first level context menu - NOTHING HAPPENS (particularly when you do this from Downloads or Documents folders) - however I noticed that it DOES WORK when you use the context menu from the Desktop. Going to the second level context menu does work however.
PA 2023 22.00.08
Long time no seeing. So I start up the new year with a first problem : the virtual driver cannot be installed. Reason : it is missing in the Fast Ring PatchBeam Update Service…
Virtual driver PA 2023-01-28 152607.png
It seems a standard problem with new releases :-)
Can I have a link or can it be fixed. Thank you. CU later
When the function for testing archives is invoked via the shell context menu (PowerArchiver > Test) then all the files in the archive get extracted to the current folder.
The test dialog reports as many errors as there are files in the archive but it fails to give any hint as to which files are supposed to be erroneous or what the nature of the problem might be. Comparing the extracted files to the originals shows no differences at all.
The .7z in question was produced with maximised compression settings in 7zip (taking forever but resulting in smaller archives than .7z produced by PowerArchiver with maximised settings). Therefore I wanted to see whether PowerArchiver can at least test .7z that it produced itself. Hence I had PowerArchiver convert a .pa with the same contents to .7z. There weren’t any errors reported but the resulting .7z contained fewer than half of the files contained in the .pa (137 of 366), so I scratched that test.
Performance is abysmal when testing via the context menu (e.g. almost 2 minutes for testing a .7z that 7zip tests in 4 seconds), but that is most likely due to the fact that the extracted files are written to disk. Testing the same .7z in the PowerArchiver GUI takes only 8 seconds but causes the mysterious appearance of a UAC dialog, as reported elsewhere.
The testing function is vital because PowerArchiver has a history of producing archives that it cannot unpack without errors or that do not conform to the respective file format standards (e.g. ZIP) so that other programs report them as erroneous.
The point of creating archives is that the files in them will most likely have to be extracted at some point. If the extraction cannot be guaranteed to produce correct results then the whole program is absolutely pointless. Actually, worse than pointless - it causes data loss and hence damage.
In PowerArchiver 2023 22.00.06 configuration, the option labelled “Start PowerArchiver 2023 Starter when my computer starts” seems to be redundant.
I am only allowed to change this option when PA Starter is disabled, and then it seems to be ignored.
When I enable PA Starter this option is forced to the enabled state.
I think it’d be good to remove “Start PowerArchiver 2023 Starter when my computer starts” completely. I’ve always found it confusing having both options.
Added later: However i don’t particularly want to use queue but I do like having the PAStarter icon in my tray area.
W10 Pro 22H2 - 64 -bit
PA 22.00.06 (PA 2023)
It has been the case with previous versions of PowerArchiver, but I had hoped that the latest might behave differently. Not so, I’m afraid.
I have, for various obscure reasons, created a few .pa archives, mainly in the hope that they will save me some more space. From time to time, I use the “Test” option to check that important archives are OK and uncorrupted.
With every .pa archive I’ve tested, the process runs through OK but then reports that there are errors. This is always the number of files in the archive e.g. if 11 files, then 11 errors reported.
In the .pa, I can:-preview the files (usually PDF) extract some or all files and look at or use them convert the .pa to a .zip or .zipx archive, which then works fine and tests without errors
Is it the case that the Test routine isn’t designed for .pa archives, or is there another reason? Although the .pa seems to function properly, despite the test reporting errors, I would like to be sure that every .pa is OK and not “broken”.
Some of the .pas are quite old and produced with earlier PA versions (they are truly “archives”). If I extract all the files in the old .pa, create a new, fresh .pa and add back the files to that, then test the new, no errors (at least in the .pa I’ve tried this on) are reported. This would suggest a mismatch between old .pas and newer versions of PA itself.
PowerArchiver 2021 20.00.32/44/45
Release Notes - PowerArchiver - Version 20.00.46
* [PA-2727] - Adding files to Tar.GZ issues
Release Notes - PowerArchiver - Version 20.00.45
* [PA-2693] - in standard/modern interface, when PA is just started, pa icon in toolbar is not shown
* [PA-2715] - Add screen issues when Enforced FIPS is on
* [PA-2719] - Nag Screen changes when changing Toolbar file icon view
* [PA-2723] - Add activity and FIPS icons to Modern W10 interface
* [PA-2724] - other formats not working when fips mode is “on”
* [PA-2726] - Cannot open files in modern interface via double click on archive in Windows Explorer
* [PA-2728] - Enter password dialog appears four times when creating w/Enforced FIPS through shell
* [PA-2730] - FIPS icon does not show properly in Modern W10 interface
Release Notes - PowerArchiver - Version 20.00.44
* [PA-2661] - re-arrange batch zip window
* [PA-2675] - nag screen updates
* [PA-2708] - FIPS 140-2 mode redesign
* [PA-2710] - preview window improvements
* [PA-2626] - new version of explorer display components
* [PA-2643] - implemented zipx: zstd
* [PA-2658] - hide preview window when in non archive tab
* [PA-2662] - backup: refresh should load files from main backup folder
* [PA-2670] - password manager in shell should ask for saving at start of compression
* [PA-2688] - tbx nag screen improvements
* [PA-2704] - Password Profiles tab disappears in config when unchecking Use Password Manager
* [PA-2718] - Add Help icon next to Security>FIPS dropdown in Config
* [PA-2721] - Link FIPS icon in status bar to Help section
* [PA-2618] - taskbar and installer still say 2020
* [PA-2653] - smartai skin detection: black colors in filelist/preview in windows ribbon
* [PA-2654] - highlight selected column is always on
* [PA-2657] - nag screen does not have version information
* [PA-2659] - weird behaviour when closing tabs
* [PA-2665] - when in preview is in hidden mode, do not dissapear images after 3s
* [PA-2540] - Headers do not look correct in Windows 10 interface
* [PA-2598] - cant use ESC to close Burn files window
* [PA-2610] - Fields and text not translated in Config>SmartAI
* [PA-2648] - Backup: Browse buttons missing icons
* [PA-2667] - reset to defaults and skin in config shows empty
* [PA-2668] - default in shell: deflate maximum with deflate64
* [PA-2679] - interface problem when using registered version of PA (chinese)
* [PA-2683] - create new zip, change config, shows status bar msg
* [PA-2685] - translation issues
* [PA-2686] - pdf and zip files do not automatically open hidden preview window
* [PA-2687] - fips mode in add window
* [PA-2689] - backup tab issues
* [PA-2690] - refresh backup list each time we enter backup tab?
* [PA-2691] - backup tool in classic view has large white border
* [PA-2692] - fips mode redo
* [PA-2694] - new archive does not auto show add window, specific config
* [PA-2695] - Cannot select skins in Classic - Classic Simple always selected
* [PA-2696] - Backup interface in white/light skin when PA in dark skin
* [PA-2698] - bugs in german translation
* [PA-2699] - windows fips mode - cant be turned on via PA, uac does not show
* [PA-2700] - in shell compress with option, wrong icon used
* [PA-2702] - Batch Tool window buttons and dropdowns do not appear correctly
* [PA-2703] - Encryption Suite icon almost invisible
* [PA-2705] - black nag black text
* [PA-2709] - timer for auto hide works for 10s no matter how many files we selected
* [PA-2714] - Add window file selection not working
* [PA-2716] - Zip always selected when Adding files to PA archive w/ Enforced FIPS on
* [PA-2720] - Not showing the FIPS icon in the status bar and Nag screen
Release Notes - PowerArchiver - Version 20.00.32
** New features:
- Added new Optimized Fast mode to ZIPX, that intelligently applies appropriate codec for your selected compression strenght.
- Added support for ZSTD compression/extract in ZIPX. ZSTD has been featured in .PA format for a long time, it has faster compression, better compression ratio than Deflate but also a lot faster decompression. It is also supported by WinZip 24 so you have compatibility as well.
* [PA-2566] - preview in non stick mode should not disappear on its own
* [PA-2622] - add back hiding of sidebars and maybe closing them too?
* [PA-2625] - nag screen with lifetime tbx offer
* [PA-2627] - hide/close pins
* [PA-1397] - win+d and PowerArchiver window: does not work properly
* [PA-2490] - 2020: alt+d minimize problem again
* [PA-2542] - Incorrect Backup icon in ModernW10 Dark skin interface
* [PA-2551] - New Encrypt/Opt/Remove options unavailable for RAR files
* [PA-2569] - Uploading 10k files to cloud is very slow compared to uploading a single file
* [PA-2583] - Canceling PA file compression freezes progress dialog
* [PA-2592] - using encrypt in shell, shows error
* [PA-2599] - PA freezes when extracting a corrupted archive, no error
* [PA-2606] - turn off auto hide for preview window
* [PA-2614] - skinning issues in .25
* [PA-2629] - when no button text in editor bar, tooltips do not show
* [PA-2630] - when we turn off tips in editors bar, then restart and turn them on, synedit tabs shows
* [PA-2631] - in cloud mode, right explorer panel does not save “explorer display style”
* [PA-2632] - starting openpgp keys shows error
* [PA-2634] - when we view file in tab and click on “up”, file does not dissapear from view
* [PA-2635] - can we add Explorer to the name of the tab when we are browsing hdd?
* [PA-2637] - add .reg file support for editor
* [PA-2640] - Config>Skins>Select Buttons dialog does not show buttons in W10
* [PA-2641] - Folder treeview disappears after closing tab in file list
* [PA-2642] - PA at bottom left after alt+d
* [PA-2644] - PA 2019 caption shows in compress with options
* [PA-2645] - wrong shell default set for compress to zip
5/27 - rather large update for PowerArchiver 2021 with many new changes including new completely reworked FIPS 140-2 options for our Govt/Business customers, new Batch Zip window and many other improvements. In testing right now towards official release!
Thank you for reporting issues and your wishlists, keep it coming! @Alpha-Testers
bump for build .45 @Alpha-Testers
bump for quick fix .46 build @Alpha-Testers
- dark windows ribbon implemented with auto/light/dark modes. Lot of backend changes, so not public yet.