For some reason, the PowerArchiver functions in the Windows 11 context menu no longer work after the last Windows Update. Only the functions in the classic context menu function as they should.
I’ve tried uninstalling PowerArchiver and using RevoUninstaller to remove all bits and pieces that were left behind and did a clean install of PowerArchiver, it didn’t fix the issue. Other items in the Windows 11 context menu work.
This appears to be happening again with the Power Archiver 2022 shell extensions.
When I have Use Explorer Shell Extensions enabled in Power Archiver Configuration and right-click on c:\Users\username\Start Menu, (hidden Junction file), File Explorer crashes.
I have version 21.00.15 (03/2022) 64-bit installed in Windows 10 Version 21H2 (Build 19044.1826).
In the latest version of PA, on W11 (latest build/SP) when you try to use the first level context menu - NOTHING HAPPENS (particularly when you do this from Downloads or Documents folders) - however I noticed that it DOES WORK when you use the context menu from the Desktop. Going to the second level context menu does work however.
PA 2023 22.00.08
Long time no seeing. So I start up the new year with a first problem : the virtual driver cannot be installed. Reason : it is missing in the Fast Ring PatchBeam Update Service…
Virtual driver PA 2023-01-28 152607.png
It seems a standard problem with new releases :-)
Can I have a link or can it be fixed. Thank you. CU later
When the function for testing archives is invoked via the shell context menu (PowerArchiver > Test) then all the files in the archive get extracted to the current folder.
The test dialog reports as many errors as there are files in the archive but it fails to give any hint as to which files are supposed to be erroneous or what the nature of the problem might be. Comparing the extracted files to the originals shows no differences at all.
The .7z in question was produced with maximised compression settings in 7zip (taking forever but resulting in smaller archives than .7z produced by PowerArchiver with maximised settings). Therefore I wanted to see whether PowerArchiver can at least test .7z that it produced itself. Hence I had PowerArchiver convert a .pa with the same contents to .7z. There weren’t any errors reported but the resulting .7z contained fewer than half of the files contained in the .pa (137 of 366), so I scratched that test.
Performance is abysmal when testing via the context menu (e.g. almost 2 minutes for testing a .7z that 7zip tests in 4 seconds), but that is most likely due to the fact that the extracted files are written to disk. Testing the same .7z in the PowerArchiver GUI takes only 8 seconds but causes the mysterious appearance of a UAC dialog, as reported elsewhere.
The testing function is vital because PowerArchiver has a history of producing archives that it cannot unpack without errors or that do not conform to the respective file format standards (e.g. ZIP) so that other programs report them as erroneous.
The point of creating archives is that the files in them will most likely have to be extracted at some point. If the extraction cannot be guaranteed to produce correct results then the whole program is absolutely pointless. Actually, worse than pointless - it causes data loss and hence damage.
In PowerArchiver 2023 22.00.06 configuration, the option labelled “Start PowerArchiver 2023 Starter when my computer starts” seems to be redundant.
I am only allowed to change this option when PA Starter is disabled, and then it seems to be ignored.
When I enable PA Starter this option is forced to the enabled state.
I think it’d be good to remove “Start PowerArchiver 2023 Starter when my computer starts” completely. I’ve always found it confusing having both options.
Added later: However i don’t particularly want to use queue but I do like having the PAStarter icon in my tray area.
W10 Pro 22H2 - 64 -bit
PA 22.00.06 (PA 2023)
It has been the case with previous versions of PowerArchiver, but I had hoped that the latest might behave differently. Not so, I’m afraid.
I have, for various obscure reasons, created a few .pa archives, mainly in the hope that they will save me some more space. From time to time, I use the “Test” option to check that important archives are OK and uncorrupted.
With every .pa archive I’ve tested, the process runs through OK but then reports that there are errors. This is always the number of files in the archive e.g. if 11 files, then 11 errors reported.
In the .pa, I can:-preview the files (usually PDF) extract some or all files and look at or use them convert the .pa to a .zip or .zipx archive, which then works fine and tests without errors
Is it the case that the Test routine isn’t designed for .pa archives, or is there another reason? Although the .pa seems to function properly, despite the test reporting errors, I would like to be sure that every .pa is OK and not “broken”.
Some of the .pas are quite old and produced with earlier PA versions (they are truly “archives”). If I extract all the files in the old .pa, create a new, fresh .pa and add back the files to that, then test the new, no errors (at least in the .pa I’ve tried this on) are reported. This would suggest a mismatch between old .pas and newer versions of PA itself.
Fast Ring: PowerArchiver 2018 18.00.50/53/56/57
New version: PowerArchiver 2018 18.00.57
Download Windows Installer: https://powerarchiver.cachefly.net/2018/powarc180057.exe
Download Portable Installer: https://powerarchiver.cachefly.net/2018/powarcportable180057.exe
Release Notes - PowerArchiver - Version 18.00.57
* [PA-1833] - adding files from UNC paths fails in .56
* [PA-1836] - XP: Default skin should be classic in first install dialog
Release Notes - PowerArchiver - Version 18.00.56
* [PA-1719] - Remove office icons text from Skins dropdown in menu
* [PA-1776] - Cloud missing from modern interface
* [PA-1779] - Increase padding in file list to compensate for text growing under high dpi
* [PA-1781] - Improve shortcuts in modern interface - update shortcut letters
* [PA-1782] - Password Manager should ask to save passwords during encryption as well
* [PA-1784] - Define default icon set for each skin with office icons set for lighter skins
* [PA-1785] - Add OpenPGP Key Manager to tools menu in Modern UI
* [PA-1787] - Favorites button in Add screen - keep Edit always on top
* [PA-1791] - Backup: Change Create to new in Backup Menu
* [PA-1794] - Backup: make Configure clouds button unavailable when Sent to Cloud not checked
* [PA-1825] - Change position of reset/set as default in make sfx
* [PA-1767] - Modern ui: alt+enter show properties like in classic
* [PA-1768] - Clarify in help file how to force classic interface for enterprise users
* [PA-1797] - Associate .SGN files with PA
** New Feature
* [PA-1777] - Modern UI: Add Desktop, Documents, Downloads and Pictures to the Extract button drop-down.
* [PA-1683] - New tabs do not show files on HDD when selected to show in View options
* [PA-1769] - Remove saved password button does not remove - Remove All works
* [PA-1770] - List view does not show folders properly when moving from folder to folder
* [PA-1772] - Encrypt Tool adds file extension to suffix but it shouldnt
* [PA-1780] - Delete FTP profile does not work in FTP quick connect
* [PA-1798] - 18.00.53 License without codec pack - PA format works
* [PA-1804] - shell: set as default in make exe does not save setting
* [PA-1812] - explorer View is always Large Icons after restarting PA
* [PA-1815] - in .55 - error writting to file when compressing mp3 into PA format
* [PA-1817] - explorer view: zips open in both left and right panel
* [PA-1819] - Archives should open in new tab when opening them in explorer view
* [PA-1820] - Portable - Toolbox registers as PRO - Burner tab missing in Toolbox version
* [PA-1822] - Importing PSF2 skin does not work when in modern interface
* [PA-1823] - closing empty tab destroys folder view treeview in other tabs
Release Notes - PowerArchiver - Version 18.00.50
* [PA-1530] - tabing in ftp mode - focus on buttons?
* [PA-1715] - debug version of packmp3c with jojpeg
* [PA-1716] - .pa: wav compression step at extreme changes (optimization for better compression)
* [PA-1724] - remove admin requirement from portable installer
* [PA-1734] - modern/ribbon ui: ctrl+L should close archive
* [PA-1738] - change default compression level to Normal for PA and Zip formats when creating new compression profile
* [PA-1741] - Associate .scs files with PowerArchiver for extraction - PA already opens it
* [PA-1742] - tab in ftp should go from username to password
* [PA-1744] - when we select pro user interface in first screen, PA should use office icons in modern toolbar
* [PA-1746] - sfx wizard: first archive folder should be my documents
* [PA-1751] - update 7z.dll’s to latest versions
* [PA-1756] - Add Set as default SFX buttons to Make EXE option
* [PA-1700] - new MSI setups for 2018 with built in offline help files
* [PA-1731] - PA Mount shell extension asks for PAVD2017 instead of PAVD2018
** New Feature
* [PA-858] - add special .wav mode for optimized fast to improve compression by 25%
* [PA-1135] - (pa2018) implement new mp3 codec with jpeg compression (album art) for ultra and extreme modes
* [PA-495] - SFX Wizard dialog improvements - improvements and text cut off
* [PA-778] - Backup Tab: Icons missing for custom skin
* [PA-868] - SFX Wizard: password protection not working
* [PA-1018] - Default compression should be Normal when creating PA compression profile?
* [PA-1627] - Unmount VD moves to PowerArchiver shell submenu instead of staying in main
* [PA-1639] - Cannot CTRL V into main PA extract window password prompt
* [PA-1687] - FTP entrance fields Tab order not correct
* [PA-1722] - new MSI version installer asks to run PA 2017 instead of 2018
* [PA-1723] - Offline Help does not appear in MSI version
* [PA-1727] - Backup tab icons show modern icons when original selected
* [PA-1728] - Favorites dialog does not save column sizes
* [PA-1729] - Compress & Encrypt option does not work properly
* [PA-1730] - Remove .zip extension from PAE2 filename when using Compress & Encrypt
* [PA-1736] - Compression profiles not working in Converter and Batch tools
* [PA-1737] - Span size dropdown empty for PA format in Config>Compression profiles
* [PA-1739] - Virtual Drive: Mount/Unmount shell options issues
* [PA-1740] - Filters not working in Backup and main PA
* [PA-1745] - sfx wizard: creating password protected archives
* [PA-1749] - Portable: cannot register with unicode letters in name
* [PA-1750] - Full path location always used even when relative checked
* [PA-1754] - SFX Wizard: Default unzip to folder dropdown is empty
* [PA-1755] - Extra dialog in SFX wizard before compression begins
Release Notes - PowerArchiver - Version 18.00.53
* [PA-1679] - create lepton with -validate built in
* [PA-1735] - restore window size too wide
* [PA-1743] - Add Skin selection to the first config window
* [PA-1747] - checkout creates invalid shortcut to exe file
* [PA-1759] - 18.00.50: pabackup.exe always in english
* [PA-1760] - changes for the nag screen
* [PA-1757] - Remove X from “New Tab” marker
* [PA-1762] - PA does not extract ISO via shell - works via main PA
* [PA-1765] - Label56 shows in backup when skins used
- Changes and updates based on first official release - PA 2018 18.00.48.
- There was security vulnerability reported in 7z and fixed few weeks ago. This specific issue was due to unrar implementation and has not impacted PowerArchiver since we use our own unrar code. We have updated 7z.dll’s for other improvements and fixes nevertheless.
- Some usability improvements from .48, for instance restore window size.
- Lots of small improvements to Modern UI including new features and shortcuts overhaul.
- You can now save default settings in Make SFX and SFX Maker.
Thanks to everyone for testing!
Original forum thread:
This post is deleted!
@Alpha-Testers updated with build .56… Patchbeam will be available in few hours, details have been updated above. Thank you for your feedback!
Thank You :D
@Alpha-Testers small update to .57… thank you!