I hope that despite my poor control of English, you can understand me.
When compressing a file, by default the extension is included as part of the file name. for example, if the file is name.pdf, the compressed file will be name_pdf.zip.
Is there any way for the extensions not to be included in the compressed file name? As much as I have searched I don’t see such an option.
Thanks for your time
Hello, I used the support form to ask this a couple weeks ago but never received a response. Perhaps here would be better? Here’s the issue:
Powerarchiver 2019 was locking up testing a .7z file so I looked for and found a new version (note- new version didn’t fix this- I ended up using 7-Zip itself. Archive was large and contained a ton of files)
Upon installing it, I was prompted to register it or “continue unregistered” so I logged into the website and used the order recovery option to get my new codes for PA2021. However, after cutting and pasting my name and registration code, upon restart when I click on the help button it still shows as unregistered (it did not show the nag dialog again). I tried two different codes (see below). I also tried installing again using the link in the email but there was no difference. Where do I go from here? Thanks.
Update: After a couple weeks it still hasn’t negged me, but continues to show as unregistered in the (?) area- will this stop working altogether soon?
OS: Windows 10 Pro version 2004
File installed: first used PA 2019 to check for and install update, then used link in email which downloaded powarc200073.exe and installed that.
Codes used: first tried the toolbox/english code in first email, then tried the standard/international code in second email
I’m using Convert Archives on a local folder of .zip files, converting them to .lzh files, and I’m finding that perhaps 1 in 75 files is actually converting and outputting a file. Even then, the .lzh file is incomplete, missing most of the source files.
The progress bars completes OK, say 75/75 files, but only one .lzh file exists in the output folder.
It seems to be the same with different source and output folders on both local and USB disk - I can’t see a pattern.
The files extract and compress (to .lzh) without issue on their own.
Is there a log file I can check please, to see why PA does not like these files as part of the batch conversion?
Thanks very much, Rich.
I’m experiencing very slow extraction speed of multipart RAR files. For the first part the extraction is super fast but when PA reaches the part2.rar the extraction from there on gets super slow. PA needed for a 6,3 GB multipart archive 30 minutes to extract. I tested then with another program and it just took 70 seconds. I had this slow extraction speed with PA for quite a long time and I always thought that is maybe because of a high compression rate that the extraction would take longer. But it seems that only PA gets that slow.
I have lots of multipart archives that are 10+ GB and with PA it would be really time consuming. Is there any solution to this?
I have powerarchiver licenses for powerarchiver standard and toolbox (and also as a result for pro).
I can successfully register powerarchiver with my pro/toolbox codes, and it unlocks the majority of the content/features. However if I try and create a .pa style archive I get the registration popup saying I need PowerArchiver Pro (if I go to help/about I can verify I have the relevant version and it’s registered to me).
Powerarchiver 2021 20.00.73
Windows 10 Education 10.0.19042 Build 19042
When extracting gcc-arm-10.2-2020.11-mingw-w64-i686-arm-none-linux-gnueabihf.tar.xz , Powerarchiver wrongly thinks some .exe files have a length of zero:
Once extracted:D:\Temp\Powerarchiver\gcc-arm-10.2-2020.11-mingw-w64-i686-arm-none-linux-gnueabihf\bin>dir *.exe Volume in drive D is DATA Volume Serial Number is 0E12-BCA2 Directory of D:\Temp\Powerarchiver\gcc-arm-10.2-2020.11-mingw-w64-i686-arm-none-linux-gnueabihf\bin 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 1,391,599 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-addr2line.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 0 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-ar.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 0 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-as.exe 2020-11-20 07:41 PM 3,030,119 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-c++.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 1,389,293 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-c++filt.exe 2020-11-20 07:41 PM 3,027,513 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-cpp.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 4,040,503 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-dwp.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 391,769 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-elfedit.exe 2020-11-20 07:41 PM 0 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-g++.exe 2020-11-20 07:41 PM 3,026,926 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcc-10.2.1.exe 2020-11-20 07:41 PM 609,607 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcc-ar.exe 2020-11-20 07:41 PM 609,607 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcc-nm.exe 2020-11-20 07:41 PM 609,607 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcc-ranlib.exe 2020-11-20 07:41 PM 0 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcc.exe 2020-11-20 07:41 PM 2,165,533 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcov-dump.exe 2020-11-20 07:41 PM 2,343,605 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcov-tool.exe 2020-11-20 07:41 PM 2,450,233 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcov.exe 2020-11-20 07:54 PM 9,605,899 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gdb.exe 2020-11-20 07:41 PM 3,028,997 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gfortran.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 1,412,943 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gprof.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 0 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-ld.bfd.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 0 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-ld.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 0 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-ld.gold.exe 2020-11-20 07:41 PM 25,546,567 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-lto-dump.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 0 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-nm.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 0 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-objcopy.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 0 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-objdump.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 0 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-ranlib.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 0 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-readelf.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 1,393,083 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-size.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 1,392,464 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-strings.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 0 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-strip.exe 32 File(s) 67,465,867 bytes 0 Dir(s) 1,002,422,431,744 bytes free
When the same archive is being extracted from a git bash session (after having installed git 2.30.1 for Windows 64 bit version from git-scm.com), the .exe files are extracted as expected:xz -k -d gcc-arm-10.2-2020.11-mingw-w64-i686-arm-none-linux-gnueabihf.tar.xz tar xf gcc-arm-10.2-2020.11-mingw-w64-i686-arm-none-linux-gnueabihf.tar cd gcc-arm-10.2-2020.11-mingw-w64-i686-arm-none-linux-gnueabihf/bin ll *.exe -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 1391599 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-addr2line.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 2 User 197121 1421598 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-ar.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 2 User 197121 2028927 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-as.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 2 User 197121 3030119 Nov 20 19:41 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-c++.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 1389293 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-c++filt.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 3027513 Nov 20 19:41 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-cpp.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 4040503 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-dwp.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 391769 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-elfedit.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 2 User 197121 3030119 Nov 20 19:41 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-g++.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 2 User 197121 3026926 Nov 20 19:41 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcc-10.2.1.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 609607 Nov 20 19:41 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcc-ar.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 609607 Nov 20 19:41 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcc-nm.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 609607 Nov 20 19:41 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcc-ranlib.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 2 User 197121 3026926 Nov 20 19:41 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcc.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 2165533 Nov 20 19:41 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcov-dump.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 2343605 Nov 20 19:41 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcov-tool.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 2450233 Nov 20 19:41 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcov.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 9605899 Nov 20 19:54 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gdb.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 3028997 Nov 20 19:41 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gfortran.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 1412943 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gprof.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 4 User 197121 2572182 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-ld.bfd.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 4 User 197121 2572182 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-ld.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 2 User 197121 4550029 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-ld.gold.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 25546567 Nov 20 19:41 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-lto-dump.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 2 User 197121 1404945 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-nm.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 2 User 197121 1531656 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-objcopy.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 2 User 197121 1991350 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-objdump.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 2 User 197121 1421598 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-ranlib.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 2 User 197121 1163376 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-readelf.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 1393083 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-size.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 1392464 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-strings.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 2 User 197121 1531656 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-strip.exe*
The same archive file does extract properly under a native Linux Ubuntu 20.04 system, or under Windows 10 using the WSL2 Linux subsystem using xz and tar.
I just saw, that on the Website, PowerArchiver 2021 20.00.73 is advertised as latest version. (Actually, the downloaded version says, it’s 20.00.70 in the about dialog)
But it still comes with the “red icon set” for preview versions and has some known unfixed bugs, as I read here.
Is it sufficiently stable to be used on production systems?
Hi I recently bought PowerArchiver and found some bugs and issues that I hit testing some of the features out.
If you are doing a backup and on the compression options screen its default is compression format is PA with no option to change disk spanning. If you change to 7-zip you can change disk spanning. If you change the disk spanning then move back to PA format the field for disk spanning disables but the option stays set to what you changed it to. When you do a backup it will use PA with files spanning but PowerArchiver says that its not a valid format when you open it. If PA can’t really do file spanning then this screen is allowing it.
I have attached an image where the progress bar is in the middle of the CD/DVD/BD Tools screen.
I have a 7-Zip file I created using the backup tools doing an increment backup. It opens and extracts just fine but if you using the Test option PowerArchiver locks up. Link to file: Backup-2021-02-05-20-35-36 TEST LOCKUP.7z
On any Zip/PA/7-Zip process the pause and cancel buttons do not work. You have to hard kill the entire application to get out.
There would be many of us with Intel Processors.
and they have their own optimized zlib algorithm, which can result in more efficiency if used combined with their hardware processor.
Can we get the same Functionality Under Hardware Acceleration Feature?
Zlib is not the only feature that intel has included with their processor, there’s many, which if combined can result in efficient and better compression ratios.
After the batch archiving is complete, and if I click on whitespace of the PA app, I get this error.
I did check for ongoing process and ensured no archives were corrupt, It seems like activity did complete successfully but the error is shown for no reason, and only after clicking the whitespace.
Please see if this can be removed.
I’m using the Kaspersky Total Security.
I have configured PA as exclusion as followed:
and also is set us trusted application
PA Trusted Application.png
My Antivirus likes to scan for everything, and it’s safeguarding behavior is to prevent the access to the file until the file is properly scanned for.
PA when losses the access to file, it is stuck, consumes Resources, and never completes the process or throws any error
PAStarter should also work as PAMonitor:
There should be a monitoring process, at least if I’m using queuing feature, that should check for never ending compression processes and terminate them so the queue can be little bit automated.
There should be multiple attempts at retrying if PA loses access to or is denied, instead of having to see process was stuck for longer duration.
Or, better, save the parameters I used for keeping the files in compression, and automatically restart the whole compression process after termination the same, of same folders and files set, this should happen in case if compression was stuck.
If you use Queue Feature, you are not saving on space, you are just squeezing less.
I did test the same on multiple files, and of different types.
It does have large difference for each large file you are trying to squeeze.
Folders with multiple files, just have no benefits if you use Queue Feature
I am using the portable version of PA2021. After switching from build 58 to 73 I have problems with the color-scheme:
While 58 behaves like expected and showed everything in light or dark colors according to the settings, 73 always shows the lower part of the window in dark colors, no matter whether I select automatic, light or dark.
This happens on a clean installation of 73 as well as on an update from build 58. I have attached two images generated on the same machine at the same time with the same settings. The upper shows build 73, the lower 58. Is it a bug or some changed setting I miss?
Thanks for help!
I currently own the PowerArchiver Select - lifetime free upgrades and support for PowerArchiver Toolbox English license.
This license is active on 1 device. Does the license allow me to activate PowerArchiver on a second device that I own? Or do I need a separate license for that?
Thank you ! :)
Fast Ring: PowerArchiver 2018 18.00.50/53/56/57
New version: PowerArchiver 2018 18.00.57
Download Windows Installer: https://powerarchiver.cachefly.net/2018/powarc180057.exe
Download Portable Installer: https://powerarchiver.cachefly.net/2018/powarcportable180057.exe
Release Notes - PowerArchiver - Version 18.00.57
* [PA-1833] - adding files from UNC paths fails in .56
* [PA-1836] - XP: Default skin should be classic in first install dialog
Release Notes - PowerArchiver - Version 18.00.56
* [PA-1719] - Remove office icons text from Skins dropdown in menu
* [PA-1776] - Cloud missing from modern interface
* [PA-1779] - Increase padding in file list to compensate for text growing under high dpi
* [PA-1781] - Improve shortcuts in modern interface - update shortcut letters
* [PA-1782] - Password Manager should ask to save passwords during encryption as well
* [PA-1784] - Define default icon set for each skin with office icons set for lighter skins
* [PA-1785] - Add OpenPGP Key Manager to tools menu in Modern UI
* [PA-1787] - Favorites button in Add screen - keep Edit always on top
* [PA-1791] - Backup: Change Create to new in Backup Menu
* [PA-1794] - Backup: make Configure clouds button unavailable when Sent to Cloud not checked
* [PA-1825] - Change position of reset/set as default in make sfx
* [PA-1767] - Modern ui: alt+enter show properties like in classic
* [PA-1768] - Clarify in help file how to force classic interface for enterprise users
* [PA-1797] - Associate .SGN files with PA
** New Feature
* [PA-1777] - Modern UI: Add Desktop, Documents, Downloads and Pictures to the Extract button drop-down.
* [PA-1683] - New tabs do not show files on HDD when selected to show in View options
* [PA-1769] - Remove saved password button does not remove - Remove All works
* [PA-1770] - List view does not show folders properly when moving from folder to folder
* [PA-1772] - Encrypt Tool adds file extension to suffix but it shouldnt
* [PA-1780] - Delete FTP profile does not work in FTP quick connect
* [PA-1798] - 18.00.53 License without codec pack - PA format works
* [PA-1804] - shell: set as default in make exe does not save setting
* [PA-1812] - explorer View is always Large Icons after restarting PA
* [PA-1815] - in .55 - error writting to file when compressing mp3 into PA format
* [PA-1817] - explorer view: zips open in both left and right panel
* [PA-1819] - Archives should open in new tab when opening them in explorer view
* [PA-1820] - Portable - Toolbox registers as PRO - Burner tab missing in Toolbox version
* [PA-1822] - Importing PSF2 skin does not work when in modern interface
* [PA-1823] - closing empty tab destroys folder view treeview in other tabs
Release Notes - PowerArchiver - Version 18.00.50
* [PA-1530] - tabing in ftp mode - focus on buttons?
* [PA-1715] - debug version of packmp3c with jojpeg
* [PA-1716] - .pa: wav compression step at extreme changes (optimization for better compression)
* [PA-1724] - remove admin requirement from portable installer
* [PA-1734] - modern/ribbon ui: ctrl+L should close archive
* [PA-1738] - change default compression level to Normal for PA and Zip formats when creating new compression profile
* [PA-1741] - Associate .scs files with PowerArchiver for extraction - PA already opens it
* [PA-1742] - tab in ftp should go from username to password
* [PA-1744] - when we select pro user interface in first screen, PA should use office icons in modern toolbar
* [PA-1746] - sfx wizard: first archive folder should be my documents
* [PA-1751] - update 7z.dll’s to latest versions
* [PA-1756] - Add Set as default SFX buttons to Make EXE option
* [PA-1700] - new MSI setups for 2018 with built in offline help files
* [PA-1731] - PA Mount shell extension asks for PAVD2017 instead of PAVD2018
** New Feature
* [PA-858] - add special .wav mode for optimized fast to improve compression by 25%
* [PA-1135] - (pa2018) implement new mp3 codec with jpeg compression (album art) for ultra and extreme modes
* [PA-495] - SFX Wizard dialog improvements - improvements and text cut off
* [PA-778] - Backup Tab: Icons missing for custom skin
* [PA-868] - SFX Wizard: password protection not working
* [PA-1018] - Default compression should be Normal when creating PA compression profile?
* [PA-1627] - Unmount VD moves to PowerArchiver shell submenu instead of staying in main
* [PA-1639] - Cannot CTRL V into main PA extract window password prompt
* [PA-1687] - FTP entrance fields Tab order not correct
* [PA-1722] - new MSI version installer asks to run PA 2017 instead of 2018
* [PA-1723] - Offline Help does not appear in MSI version
* [PA-1727] - Backup tab icons show modern icons when original selected
* [PA-1728] - Favorites dialog does not save column sizes
* [PA-1729] - Compress & Encrypt option does not work properly
* [PA-1730] - Remove .zip extension from PAE2 filename when using Compress & Encrypt
* [PA-1736] - Compression profiles not working in Converter and Batch tools
* [PA-1737] - Span size dropdown empty for PA format in Config>Compression profiles
* [PA-1739] - Virtual Drive: Mount/Unmount shell options issues
* [PA-1740] - Filters not working in Backup and main PA
* [PA-1745] - sfx wizard: creating password protected archives
* [PA-1749] - Portable: cannot register with unicode letters in name
* [PA-1750] - Full path location always used even when relative checked
* [PA-1754] - SFX Wizard: Default unzip to folder dropdown is empty
* [PA-1755] - Extra dialog in SFX wizard before compression begins
Release Notes - PowerArchiver - Version 18.00.53
* [PA-1679] - create lepton with -validate built in
* [PA-1735] - restore window size too wide
* [PA-1743] - Add Skin selection to the first config window
* [PA-1747] - checkout creates invalid shortcut to exe file
* [PA-1759] - 18.00.50: pabackup.exe always in english
* [PA-1760] - changes for the nag screen
* [PA-1757] - Remove X from “New Tab” marker
* [PA-1762] - PA does not extract ISO via shell - works via main PA
* [PA-1765] - Label56 shows in backup when skins used
- Changes and updates based on first official release - PA 2018 18.00.48.
- There was security vulnerability reported in 7z and fixed few weeks ago. This specific issue was due to unrar implementation and has not impacted PowerArchiver since we use our own unrar code. We have updated 7z.dll’s for other improvements and fixes nevertheless.
- Some usability improvements from .48, for instance restore window size.
- Lots of small improvements to Modern UI including new features and shortcuts overhaul.
- You can now save default settings in Make SFX and SFX Maker.
Thanks to everyone for testing!
Original forum thread:
This post is deleted!
@Alpha-Testers updated with build .56… Patchbeam will be available in few hours, details have been updated above. Thank you for your feedback!
Thank You :D
@Alpha-Testers small update to .57… thank you!