I just saw, that on the Website, PowerArchiver 2021 20.00.73 is advertised as latest version. (Actually, the downloaded version says, it’s 20.00.70 in the about dialog)
But it still comes with the “red icon set” for preview versions and has some known unfixed bugs, as I read here.
Is it sufficiently stable to be used on production systems?
Powerarchiver 2021 20.00.73
Windows 10 Education 10.0.19042 Build 19042
When extracting gcc-arm-10.2-2020.11-mingw-w64-i686-arm-none-linux-gnueabihf.tar.xz , Powerarchiver wrongly thinks some .exe files have a length of zero:
Once extracted:D:\Temp\Powerarchiver\gcc-arm-10.2-2020.11-mingw-w64-i686-arm-none-linux-gnueabihf\bin>dir *.exe Volume in drive D is DATA Volume Serial Number is 0E12-BCA2 Directory of D:\Temp\Powerarchiver\gcc-arm-10.2-2020.11-mingw-w64-i686-arm-none-linux-gnueabihf\bin 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 1,391,599 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-addr2line.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 0 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-ar.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 0 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-as.exe 2020-11-20 07:41 PM 3,030,119 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-c++.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 1,389,293 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-c++filt.exe 2020-11-20 07:41 PM 3,027,513 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-cpp.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 4,040,503 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-dwp.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 391,769 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-elfedit.exe 2020-11-20 07:41 PM 0 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-g++.exe 2020-11-20 07:41 PM 3,026,926 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcc-10.2.1.exe 2020-11-20 07:41 PM 609,607 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcc-ar.exe 2020-11-20 07:41 PM 609,607 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcc-nm.exe 2020-11-20 07:41 PM 609,607 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcc-ranlib.exe 2020-11-20 07:41 PM 0 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcc.exe 2020-11-20 07:41 PM 2,165,533 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcov-dump.exe 2020-11-20 07:41 PM 2,343,605 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcov-tool.exe 2020-11-20 07:41 PM 2,450,233 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcov.exe 2020-11-20 07:54 PM 9,605,899 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gdb.exe 2020-11-20 07:41 PM 3,028,997 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gfortran.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 1,412,943 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gprof.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 0 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-ld.bfd.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 0 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-ld.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 0 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-ld.gold.exe 2020-11-20 07:41 PM 25,546,567 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-lto-dump.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 0 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-nm.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 0 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-objcopy.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 0 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-objdump.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 0 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-ranlib.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 0 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-readelf.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 1,393,083 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-size.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 1,392,464 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-strings.exe 2020-11-20 07:10 PM 0 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-strip.exe 32 File(s) 67,465,867 bytes 0 Dir(s) 1,002,422,431,744 bytes free
When the same archive is being extracted from a git bash session (after having installed git 2.30.1 for Windows 64 bit version from git-scm.com), the .exe files are extracted as expected:xz -k -d gcc-arm-10.2-2020.11-mingw-w64-i686-arm-none-linux-gnueabihf.tar.xz tar xf gcc-arm-10.2-2020.11-mingw-w64-i686-arm-none-linux-gnueabihf.tar cd gcc-arm-10.2-2020.11-mingw-w64-i686-arm-none-linux-gnueabihf/bin ll *.exe -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 1391599 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-addr2line.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 2 User 197121 1421598 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-ar.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 2 User 197121 2028927 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-as.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 2 User 197121 3030119 Nov 20 19:41 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-c++.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 1389293 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-c++filt.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 3027513 Nov 20 19:41 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-cpp.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 4040503 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-dwp.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 391769 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-elfedit.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 2 User 197121 3030119 Nov 20 19:41 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-g++.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 2 User 197121 3026926 Nov 20 19:41 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcc-10.2.1.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 609607 Nov 20 19:41 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcc-ar.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 609607 Nov 20 19:41 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcc-nm.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 609607 Nov 20 19:41 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcc-ranlib.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 2 User 197121 3026926 Nov 20 19:41 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcc.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 2165533 Nov 20 19:41 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcov-dump.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 2343605 Nov 20 19:41 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcov-tool.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 2450233 Nov 20 19:41 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gcov.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 9605899 Nov 20 19:54 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gdb.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 3028997 Nov 20 19:41 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gfortran.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 1412943 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-gprof.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 4 User 197121 2572182 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-ld.bfd.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 4 User 197121 2572182 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-ld.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 2 User 197121 4550029 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-ld.gold.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 25546567 Nov 20 19:41 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-lto-dump.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 2 User 197121 1404945 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-nm.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 2 User 197121 1531656 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-objcopy.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 2 User 197121 1991350 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-objdump.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 2 User 197121 1421598 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-ranlib.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 2 User 197121 1163376 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-readelf.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 1393083 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-size.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 1 User 197121 1392464 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-strings.exe* -rwxr-xr-x 2 User 197121 1531656 Nov 20 19:10 arm-none-linux-gnueabihf-strip.exe*
The same archive file does extract properly under a native Linux Ubuntu 20.04 system, or under Windows 10 using the WSL2 Linux subsystem using xz and tar.
Hi I recently bought PowerArchiver and found some bugs and issues that I hit testing some of the features out.
If you are doing a backup and on the compression options screen its default is compression format is PA with no option to change disk spanning. If you change to 7-zip you can change disk spanning. If you change the disk spanning then move back to PA format the field for disk spanning disables but the option stays set to what you changed it to. When you do a backup it will use PA with files spanning but PowerArchiver says that its not a valid format when you open it. If PA can’t really do file spanning then this screen is allowing it.
I have attached an image where the progress bar is in the middle of the CD/DVD/BD Tools screen.
I have a 7-Zip file I created using the backup tools doing an increment backup. It opens and extracts just fine but if you using the Test option PowerArchiver locks up. Link to file: Backup-2021-02-05-20-35-36 TEST LOCKUP.7z
On any Zip/PA/7-Zip process the pause and cancel buttons do not work. You have to hard kill the entire application to get out.
There would be many of us with Intel Processors.
and they have their own optimized zlib algorithm, which can result in more efficiency if used combined with their hardware processor.
Can we get the same Functionality Under Hardware Acceleration Feature?
Zlib is not the only feature that intel has included with their processor, there’s many, which if combined can result in efficient and better compression ratios.
After the batch archiving is complete, and if I click on whitespace of the PA app, I get this error.
I did check for ongoing process and ensured no archives were corrupt, It seems like activity did complete successfully but the error is shown for no reason, and only after clicking the whitespace.
Please see if this can be removed.
I’m using the Kaspersky Total Security.
I have configured PA as exclusion as followed:
and also is set us trusted application
PA Trusted Application.png
My Antivirus likes to scan for everything, and it’s safeguarding behavior is to prevent the access to the file until the file is properly scanned for.
PA when losses the access to file, it is stuck, consumes Resources, and never completes the process or throws any error
PAStarter should also work as PAMonitor:
There should be a monitoring process, at least if I’m using queuing feature, that should check for never ending compression processes and terminate them so the queue can be little bit automated.
There should be multiple attempts at retrying if PA loses access to or is denied, instead of having to see process was stuck for longer duration.
Or, better, save the parameters I used for keeping the files in compression, and automatically restart the whole compression process after termination the same, of same folders and files set, this should happen in case if compression was stuck.
If you use Queue Feature, you are not saving on space, you are just squeezing less.
I did test the same on multiple files, and of different types.
It does have large difference for each large file you are trying to squeeze.
Folders with multiple files, just have no benefits if you use Queue Feature
I am using the portable version of PA2021. After switching from build 58 to 73 I have problems with the color-scheme:
While 58 behaves like expected and showed everything in light or dark colors according to the settings, 73 always shows the lower part of the window in dark colors, no matter whether I select automatic, light or dark.
This happens on a clean installation of 73 as well as on an update from build 58. I have attached two images generated on the same machine at the same time with the same settings. The upper shows build 73, the lower 58. Is it a bug or some changed setting I miss?
Thanks for help!
I currently own the PowerArchiver Select - lifetime free upgrades and support for PowerArchiver Toolbox English license.
This license is active on 1 device. Does the license allow me to activate PowerArchiver on a second device that I own? Or do I need a separate license for that?
Thank you ! :)
I’ve been dealing with an intermittent explorer.exe crash for 5-6 years now. It happens randomly and will usually occur multiple times within a single session of an hour or two on my machine when manipulating files through Windows Explorer. explorer.exe is the only thing that ever crashes, so it’s not hardware IMO. I’ve done all hardware diagnostics and RAM is good. I’ve even swapped out motherboards with different brand and even the exact same one and it still crashes. sfc /scannow indicates system files are fine. I’ve done multiple reinstalls of the OS with no positive results. This crashing has happened on Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 10 64-bit. It seemed to get more frequent with Windows 10 after upgrading last year. I’ve also been using PowerArchiver throughout that time period (upgrading over time with new releases). I recently disabled all non-Microsoft extensions via ShellExView and saw no crashes for about 10 days, which is really unusual. I turned back them all back on after 10 days and saw another explorer.exe crash within the hour. So I disabled all 32-bit extensions and saw another crash. Following that I disabled all the PowerArchiver shell extensions and haven’t seen a crash after a day of heavy usage manipulating files within Windows Explorer, which doesn’t happen for me. The crash dumps I’ve captured don’t seem to indicate PowerArchiver is involved but I have a hunch it has something do with PowerArchiver shell extensions. The system even feels smoother with the PA extensions disabled. Windows 10 reliability monitor always has the same type of problem:Description Faulting Application Path: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe Problem signature Problem Event Name: BEX64 Application Name: explorer.exe Application Version: 10.0.17134.165 Application Timestamp: 4031a9f8 Fault Module Name: StackHash_e78e Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0 Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000 Exception Offset: PCH_8D_FROM_ntdll+0x000000000009AA54 Exception Code: c0000005 Exception Data: 0000000000000008 OS Version: 10.0.1718.104.22.168.256.48 Locale ID: 1033 Additional Information 1: e78e Additional Information 2: e78e327659b46c9a0c6916396b253cbf Additional Information 3: cebf Additional Information 4: cebf952c5db535ae7880488aafce55d9 Extra information about the problem Bucket ID: 1a57e4e784fbc735c231c68bd88581a9 (1311047270476906921)
I know this is a very nebulous explanation but is there any way to link this up to PA shell extensions as the cause? I can provide the crash dumps and additional information if necessary.
Converting an archive to .zip (using both the “Deflate (.zip, compatible)” and “Store” compression methods) always creates a .zipx file instead.
Using the “Store” method sometimes creates a .zip file; I have seen it happen just now, but I cannot reproduce it.
Fast Ring: PowerArchiver 2018 18.00.41/43/44/45/46/48
New version: PowerArchiver 2018 18.00.41/43/44/45/46/48
Download Windows Installer: https://powerarchiver.cachefly.net/2018/powarc180048.exe
Download Portable Installer: https://powerarchiver.cachefly.net/2018/powarcportable180048.exe
Release Notes - PowerArchiver - Version 18.00.41
* [PA-1529] - explorer file list - use full refresh instead of smart
* [PA-1569] - CD burning at 8x, more speeds (other than 48x thats default)
* [PA-1577] - modern/ribbon ui: add button enabled when no archive open
* [PA-1578] - expand ftp profiles screen
* [PA-1589] - modern/ribbon ui: force office icons for rest of the interface
* [PA-1590] - remove & from tab in backup in translations
* [PA-1592] - update preview mode icon
* [PA-1594] - modern/ribbon ui: translate help dropdown
* [PA-1602] - ftp: extend folder dropdown to max height, resize with window size?
* [PA-1604] - ftp: set default timeout to 300
* [PA-1607] - ftp: show entering default folder cmd from profile and error if it does not work
* [PA-1608] - ftp: add help button that goes to default ftp help page for more info for users
* [PA-1609] - ftp: changing protocol in toolbar should update port as well
* [PA-1611] - set minimum size for PA main window
* [PA-1612] - ftp: queue window improvements
* [PA-1621] - enterprise install: remove toolbar customization options when ftp/burner/etc are hidden
* [PA-1630] - new icons for queue
* [PA-1633] - add more buttons to office skin
* [PA-1635] - ftp: add larger icon options (24/32px) to the ftp queue toolbar
* [PA-1636] - add hints to left explorer bar buttons
* [PA-1643] - disable 2 row toolbar on archive and explorer bars
* [PA-1591] - build new setup for PA 2017 x86 with updated shell extensions
* [PA-1593] - create portable x86 and x64 versions of PowerArchiver 2018
** New Feature
* [PA-1564] - improved modern/ribbon look, new features, icons
* [PA-1519] - Add New Tab option to modern interface
* [PA-1556] - small aligment issue in add window
* [PA-1557] - FTP: PA not responding when D&D files from FTP in 34
* [PA-1573] - cant exit ftp mode without disconnecting first
* [PA-1576] - burn files interface: text not aligned
* [PA-1579] - modern: preview button does not show as turned on when PA first started
* [PA-1580] - Align buttons in Backup final screen
* [PA-1581] - Backup: scheduling options screen alignement
* [PA-1582] - Set minimum window size for Backup
* [PA-1585] - Access Violation error appears when clicking Burn in Audio Burner
* [PA-1586] - Modern: View tab dropdowns do not show any checkmarks
* [PA-1601] - ftp: if we turn off passive mode, we cant turn it on again
* [PA-1610] - issues with deflate64 checkbox
* [PA-1613] - ftp: overwriting files does not work
* [PA-1615] - ftp: queue has internal limit of 1000 files
* [PA-1616] - modern/ribbon ui: ftp, backup startup in maximized mode - start in non-maximized state and then maximize
* [PA-1617] - ftp: serverselector starts empty, does not populate server info. Profile dropdown works.
* [PA-1622] - ftp: resizing right ftp panel, icons drop to 2nd row
* [PA-1623] - ftp: passive button does not save set for specific profile after we restart PA
* [PA-1624] - ftp: main toolbar, make port edit box smaller
* [PA-1625] - ftp: Passive hint has & inside
* [PA-1626] - Config: extend text string in shell section
* [PA-1631] - Button text does not fit in some buttons in config of French version
* [PA-1632] - a dropdown in German version config, overlaps text just a bit
* [PA-1634] - Config: extend text string in shell section just a bit more
* [PA-1638] - Cannot double click to open PA format file when previewing it in main PA
Release Notes - PowerArchiver - Version 18.00.43
* [PA-1654] - add “office” skin icon for folders in folders bar
* [PA-1655] - modern ui: explorer mode does not stay in modern if we restart PA
* [PA-1660] - disable 2nd row for left panel toolbar in explorer mode
* [PA-1663] - new icon for backup mode (office skin)
* [PA-996] - No start button in Virtual Drive >DVD to ISO
* [PA-1218] - Image burner throws AV error on Burn button when no drive
* [PA-1349] - 2018 - DVD to ISO is not showing DVD drive - in VD app
* [PA-1393] - burner: AVs with wrong settings
* [PA-1552] - text missing in virtual drive (…restart)
* [PA-1603] - explorer mode: left panel toolbar icons dissapear during resize
* [PA-1628] - VD: create drive on restart text incomplete
* [PA-1644] - progress text hidden in extract progress bar when using skins
* [PA-1650] - Portable: Paburntools not registered
* [PA-1651] - Portable and Main PA versions use the same settings
* [PA-1656] - if we turn on “use explorer only inside archive” with folders bar, it leaves folders bar populated with folders (instead of empty)
* [PA-1658] - turn off “use explorer only in archives” and main listview does not update with contents of the hdd, only folders bar
* [PA-1662] - Modern changes to Classic when changing from burner tab down to Explorer tab
Release Notes - PowerArchiver - Version 18.00.44
* [PA-1673] - portable: use office icons in modern for rest of the interface
* [PA-1674] - separation line showing in toolbar for unregistered PA
* [PA-1504] - updated translation files (.pas)
* [PA-1595] - check ftp timeout and startup folder
* [PA-993] - FTP does not connect when manually inputing protocols over profile settings
* [PA-1409] - specific zipx profile does not work
* [PA-1510] - Converting encrypted PA archives does not work
* [PA-1669] - French version: Text does not fit in buttons in nag and registration screen
* [PA-1675] - troubleshoot online activation on certain computers
Release Notes - PowerArchiver - Version 18.00.45
* [PA-1587] - fix & showing in backup (&online) in german translation
* [PA-1598] - add ability to paste into ftp connection fields
* [PA-1688] - return of the yellow icon for main PA and shell to mark “gold” release of 2018
* [PA-1588] - copy and paste via keyboard (ctrl+c/v) do not work in modern toolbar interface
* [PA-1646] - .pa format: compatibility between 2017 and 2018 jpeg compression
* [PA-1657] - modern ui: ctrl+c, ctrl+v do not work in archive mode
* [PA-1671] - PowerArchiver 2017 still shows in start menu after updating to 2018 (Windows 7 and before)
* [PA-1676] - online/offline registration in internal build .44
Release Notes - PowerArchiver - Version 18.00.46
* [PA-1678] - patchbeam improvement: use both full and patch updates, depending on version user has
* [PA-1691] - updated images for first config window
* [PA-1694] - update translations to latest versions
Release Notes - PowerArchiver - Version 18.00.48
* [PA-1713] - .pa format: lepton and lepton2 update
* [PA-1714] - .pa format: add rep1 to the wav compression step
* [PA-1718] - config: skin listing has & in name
* [PA-1692] - office icons shown twice in config: interface skin selection
* [PA-1693] - first config screen text cut off
* [PA-1698] - Unknown Button in customize classic toolbar menu
* [PA-1702] - Pasting in explorer mode via CTRL + V pastes twice
* [PA-1704] - modern toolbar: changing option in config, PA restarts in classic toolbar
* [PA-1705] - PA resets to Classic with Office icons every time config options are changed and OK’d in Modern interface
* [PA-1706] - Highlight Archives color is always white
* [PA-1709] - Modern Toolbar is cut off in Windows 7/8 when starting PA maximized
* [PA-1710] - Find Archives progress text does not appear correctly
* [PA-1711] - Password policies length goes into negatives in config settings
* [PA-1712] - Modern ribbon APPDATE information creates folder with bad name
- More updates to the FTP Client.
- New Portable installation, first for PA 2018.
- Fix for Dvd to Iso functionality
- Modern UI improved.
- Start of Patchbeam Updates (full installer not needed every time).
- Better handling of PA 2017 old installation shortcuts and program group.
- Reworked how ctrl+c/v are implemented in new interface, now it works everywhere properly.
- Compatibility between PA 2017 and PA 2018 lepton .jpg compression.
- Updated translations
- Improved update system for the future versions (will use patches or full installer depending on installed version).
- Improvements to .pa format
- Important fix for Modern Toolbar on Win7/8
- Various smaller fixes
- Other smaller changes and updates, on the road to the 2018 Final release.
@Alpha-Testers updated with latest build at top - 18.00.43… more info to come later. Thanks!
Also PAVD has been updated and is available via Patchbeam. It has fix for disc to image (.ISO) functionality.
In the build 18.00.43. In the “configuration options”, “Auto Update”/“Plugins” not working. If i click on, there is nothing.
Which part exactly is not working and how? We would like to be able to reproduce so that we may fix it.
See Uploaded Images.
When I click on “Auto Update” or “Plugins” menu, there is nothing.
Thanks for posting the pictures @ffm76600
I see that you are using the Portable version and I think those options aren’t available there, I will check.
The non portable, main version, will have those options active.
Were you attempting to use the main or portable versions?
Thanks for letting us know so that we can fix/improve it.
Thanks for answers :slightly_smiling_face: .
Yes I use the portable version and i confirm “Auto Update” and “Plugins” options are active in the main version.
@Alpha-Testers bump for version .44… it is going to be on PB in 30m or so…
@Alpha-Testers Built .45 is up, will be on PB in next 10 minutes… updated Whats New in first post. Thank you!
@Alpha-Testers updated to .46, up on Patchbeam now… Whats New listed in first post. Thanks!
@Alpha-Testers updated to .48 via Patchbeam, all changes in the Whats New above.