Save full folder information

• Hi,

When creating an archive, one gets different folder saving options depending on if one works within PA after loading it or using the right-click context menu, the “compress to…” > “compress with options” steps.

Using the right-click method, what does “save full folder info” do? I have created some archives with this option enabled and disabled and I cannot see any difference between them even if I compare them side-by-side.

It is very puzzling having two different ways to do the same thing depending on which way one works. Could not the dialogue used when working in a PA window be made available when one uses the context menus and avoid the confusion? Other than finding two dialogues strange, the one when using PA seems to be more clear, to me at least 😕 .

I have to transfer an 8+GB folder structure from one PC to another. The folder structure MUST be kept intact - it is a collection of programs and scripts for compiling a ham radio program and things must not be changed folder-wise as naturally all the scripts would fail.

Would I be safer not using the context menu and using a PA instance to achieve my aim?

TIA,

DrT

• conexware

it should be full path option, so everything with exception of drive letter.

Obviously if you are saving C:\ham then it will be the same :-). But for instance if you saved C:\users\cooldude101\documents\ham, then in one case you would get ham\ and in full path scenario you would get users\……\

makes sense? I tested it quickly to make sure there isnt a bug there, seems to work fine.

• Okay, I get it now. Is there any way all the methods for making an archive can have the same dialogues? If you do not understand what I mean, I can send you a couple of screenshots if you like.

Regards

DrT

• conexware

@drteeth:

Okay, I get it now. Is there any way all the methods for making an archive can have the same dialogues? If you do not understand what I mean, I can send you a couple of screenshots if you like.

Regards

DrT

sure, send it in

• Hi spwolf,

Here are the two dialogues that do exactly the same thing AFAICS. One you get by opening PA and then clicking File > New and the other by right-clicking on some files and getting to compress with options. I have been brief, but I hope you will follow what I mean. I much prefer the “file - new” dialogue.

Either way, it does not seem intuitive to have two different dialogues that do the same thing. IMHO there should only be one. Maybe the best of both could be used to create a third design that could be the only one needed?

Cheers

DrT
    attachment_p_34916_0_file-new.png
    attachment_p_34916_1_right-click.png

Users

Topics