PA 14.00.18 load time

• The first time PA loads, either directly (I load the program) or via a right-click action seems to be quite long. Long enough for me to think I must have done something wrong (e.g. not double-clicked fast enough) so I do it again and end up with two or more instances. PA 2012 was definitely faster in loading.

DrT

• conexware

nothing changed in shell extensions, while main program did get new skin… what OS, any AV?

• I’ve been working on the 2013 version since alpha on Windows XP, 7 and 8 all different specs and brands, I can’t say i’ve noticed any such delay.

Certainly sounds odd!

Have you tried Uninstalling PowerArchiver, and installing from scratch and see if it continues to show the same issue?

• Hi,

I did install and uninstall anyway. The installer seems to do an uninstall too rather than an install over the top.

OS Win 7 x64, AV is ESET v6. I have just added PA as an exclusion to my AV and startup seemed faster. I’ll keep an eye on this.

Thanks Guys,

DrT

• conexware

was it like 0.5s slower than now, or 5s slower?

if it is substantially slower, we can maybe contact ESET and see about them “fixing” it in the future.

• Banned

With Webroot, it takes 2 to 2½ seconds, at least if PA Starter is already loaded.

• It’s even loads slower on windows 8.1 preview :). I’m still having issue with cab support recompress issue after you click next on my drivers you get error box pop up you have do it on windows 8 pro 64bit. It’s been two weeks since last contact in email about the subject I’m thinking calling you guys live on phone on Wed.

• conexware

@robertmc8:

It’s even loads slower on windows 8.1 preview :). I’m still having issue with cab support recompress issue after you click next on my drivers you get error box pop up you have do it on windows 8 pro 64bit. It’s been two weeks since last contact in email about the subject I’m thinking calling you guys live on phone on Wed.

there is no difference between 8 and 8.1 in loading, i run 8.1 personally… however what I had happen with 8.1 is itunes loading one cpu core to 100% in the background due to some bug of theirs, i had to uninstall it. If it is not something like that, then it could be AV… but otherwise, there is no difference when it comes to different Windows, compared to older version.

As to the cab, update that thread… i don’t see what we can do though, it is due to Windows apparently, not us. For some reason their cabinet.dll wont work for your purpose in Windows x64.

• Well I’m going have do it dual boot with windows 7x home edition 64 then it works fine under there. 😞 oh well It could be windows 8.1 preview making it slow loading up.

• @spwolf:

was it like 0.5s slower than now, or 5s slower?

if it is substantially slower, we can maybe contact ESET and see about them “fixing” it in the future.

[My reply to this seems to have disappeared into the ether!]

It was A LOT slower. Do you want me to run some timings for you to present to ESET?

DrT

• conexware

that would be great… last time I think ESET did something similar back in 2006 or so, and when we reported it, they managed to “fix” it.

• @spwolf:

that would be great… last time I think ESET did something similar back in 2006 or so, and when we reported it, they managed to “fix” it.

Hmm. First run with PA NOT exceluded in ESET -24 secs (the sort of long loads I have been experiencing.
    Next run with ESET exceluded from testing was 3 secs. From then on, ALL loads were 3 secs whether excluded or not in ESET. I have noticed the long loads in the past. PC completely rebooted between PA load tests.

Do you gave a debug tracing build I can run to provide further info?

DrT

• conexware

we cant debug anything on our side - ESET checks it first time, and after that result is cached.

• conexware

i can confirm that when i launched 2013, eset service went to 50% cpu (one core 100%) and it took around 10s for PA to start…. i just tried it out.

• conexware

are you sure it happened all the time?
    It seems to take long time once, then it stores its crc and never checks it again.

but yeah, if you run it first time, it seems like everything gets blocked and nod32 takes up 60%-70% of cpu.

• conexware

Since I have plenty of various pa.exe’s on my computer, i could easily reproduce this with Nod32… it is very very slow. I have no idea how AVs really work and what they do, but it seemed as if was checking something online.

In any case, I have reported this to Nod32 team. I hope they fix it. While it doesnt happen after the first time (at least it is not super slow), it looks pretty bad the first time you run it. People will think it is due to PowerArchiver even though we have nothing to do with it.

• conexware

ok, soe ESET responded that this will be “fixed” tomorrow…

• Excellent…nice to know I was not suffering another senior moment.

• conexware

i think i will need to send them all versions in the future, unless this changes… let me know if you notice anything else with AVs. Once it decides to scan the file, it is really annoying :-).

I forgot to turn it on and went to test some compression and it was really really slow… so it turned out it went to scan few files out of selected list 🙂

• Think I’m going to have to lewave PA excluded permanently. Just has a > 20 second first load with the latest.20 beta.

It’s no biggie as I trust PA and only download it from the official site. I could always scan it manually.

Users

Topics