Newbe: How to extract a part of spanned set

• A spanned set consists of 1 large AVI file.
    I like to extract -say 4-5 .rar-files only, instead of the whole set.
    When extracting PA advises that the set is not complete, rightfully so and after
    ’Cancel’, it deletes the created file.

Is it possible to force PA to extract only a part?

thank you

• @wulffra:

Is it possible to force PA to extract only a part?

As far as I know it is not possibble to extract one file of an spanned archive. 😞
    I also don’t know why some one would do that. 😕

• I also don’t know why some one would do that

It is common when the archive is split of single movie/song and the spanned parts are on a newsgroup or P2P network (slow download speeds / often misnamed files).
    So download only the first few parts, extract the beginning and play it.
    Then you can decide if you want to spend time downloading the rest.

Really only relevant for RAR compressed files.

At present we cannot do it with PA but I don’t know if deleting the partial extraction is a limitation of PA or the UNRAR.dll they (are forced to) use.

I suppose another possibilty of partial extraction could be file(s) spanned over multiple disks where one of the disks is damaged/unreadable.

• @TBGBe:

It is common when the archive is split of single movie/song and the spanned parts are on a newsgroup or P2P network (slow download speeds / often misnamed files).
    So download only the first few parts, extract the beginning and play it.
    Then you can decide if you want to spend time downloading the rest.

Really only relevant for RAR compressed files.

At present we cannot do it with PA but I don’t know if deleting the partial extraction is a limitation of PA or the UNRAR.dll they (are forced to) use.

I suppose another possibilty of partial extraction could be file(s) spanned over multiple disks where one of the disks is damaged/unreadable.

Thank you for the feedback. I installed WinRAR (sorry…) and gave it a try with that utility.
    Obviously also WinRAR requires the missing files, but after closing it leaves the unpacked
    files intact, i.e. users can partially see / hear what they are downloading. If that is crap,
    they might stop the download, rather than downloading useless giga-files.

THe workaround whilst using PA is that one should not click on cancel or okay when
    the window pops up asking for the next file. Leave it as it is and play the downloaded
    section.
    (If one clicks on OK or Cancel, the files are cleared).

Maybe this can be put into v.9.2 ???

(if not yet done already). 🙂

brgds

5 minutes later…:
    do not click on OK
    do not click on Cancel

• conexware

Thats a good workaround since I dont believe unrar.dll has this “feature”.

thanks,

Users

Topics