Please Notice: For fastest support from PowerArchiver team, contact us via our Support page

Wiping temp files after decrypting

• Banned

I want to be sure of one thing . . . and I could not find an answer in the help file. Sorry if I missed it.

Suppose I have an encrypted archive (any form of encryrption). I open the archive to look at one file.

Does PA WIPE the temporary file after I close the encrypted file?

If not, could this be added?

Hugh

• Alpha Testers

Yes.

Wasn’t 100% sure but I just tested it and once I closed PA the temp file was deleted from the temp folder.

• Banned

Thanks, Luxor,

I want to make sure sure, though, of two things.

(1) is the file deleted or is it wiped?
    (2) If so, Is this something done by default on encrypted files, or is there some special setting.

Best,

• Alpha Testers

@Socrates:

Thanks, Luxor,

Deleted as far as I know. spwolf will hopefully tell us if it is wiped. I have my doubts about that but I don’t know enough to know for sure.
    @Socrates:

(2) If so, Is this something done by default on encrypted files, or is there some special setting.

Best,

It’s by default would be my answer. But again let’s wait for spwolf or one of the other devs for the definitive answer. 🙂

• conexware

@Socrates:

Thanks, Luxor,

Best,

it is currently deleted, not wiped… wiped would mean data was overwritten by zeroes several times.

• @spwolf:

it is currently deleted, not wiped… wiped would mean data was overwritten by zeroes several times.

Maybe it’s worth adding that to the request list. for Pro and Toolbox users.

Goverment Wiped Temp’s made from PA.

However, for the users who are wanting to wipe this data if you download a free app called CCleaner it has multiple wiping options and customisable locations to add.

PowerArchiver has the ability to custom the location of temp files you can change this in the config screen.

Until the team have made something that wipes data whenever that will be you could use my suggestion.

• conexware

Sir Richard always tries to limit our PA Standard users, bad Richard, bad! 🙂

• @spwolf:

Not just zeroes, though 😉

• @spwolf:

Sir Richard always tries to limit our PA Standard users, bad Richard, bad! 🙂

I just think that a feature such as Goverment Wiping is more towards end users who are heavy users and use things like encryption, backup etc more than most.

So pro and toolbox falls into line.

dont get me wrong, if you want to offer it for all then good on you 😉 i keep coming up with increasing your sales for Pro + and you keep knocking me down. LOL

• conexware

@Sir:

I just think that a feature such as Goverment Wiping is more towards end users who are heavy users and use things like encryption, backup etc more than most.

So pro and toolbox falls into line.

dont get me wrong, if you want to offer it for all then good on you 😉 i keep coming up with increasing your sales for Pro + and you keep knocking me down. LOL

government wiping? sounds like the feds will be soon all over us :-).

• lol, As long as you have me on your team i’ll keep them pesky feds at bay 🙂

• Banned

I often keep private correspondence and financial files in encrypted archives.

I am trying to understand precisely how PA handles both the creation and extraction of the constituent files. I would prefer to leave no residue of said files floating around as flotsam and jetsam on the hard drive.

I have software that will wipe files – if I know precisely where those files are. However, if PA deletes but does not wipe a file, then I am not sure how I can properly wipe it.

Relatedly . . . if I include the setting that says “use the current file as the temp file” does that mean that all files used to build the archive, AND all files extracted from said archive will be in the current folder? That might make my task easier.

And how does THIS setting supplement, override, or compete with the temp file location setting?

Perhaps one solution is to just not have PA ever create temp files, at least not for encrypted archives.

No rush on an answer . . . I am just trying to better understand my options.

• conexware

best option would be for us to wipe (overwrite the data and then delete) it :-).

few people have asked about it already so it will probably come soon enough.

• @spwolf:

best option would be for us to wipe (overwrite the data and then delete) it :-).

Dam rite! another good thing for those concirned about Securing their data without the added hassle of additional software.

I have a few archives containing documents with confidential info, they are of course encrypted, but i always wipe the Temp location after i have finished with certain tools available.

However, if PA offered a FIPS wipe method that would be boss!

• it would be nice on the same level to have the files put in a folder that cannot be opened except through powerarchiver and with there original password. cause once its in the temp file anyone on a network computer can read your temp file and copy the files.

just an idea

• Banned

@spwolf:

That would be great. I now use FileEncyption XL to handle my most sensivitive data (including PA archives) since (a) it doesn’t create a temp file, and (b) it has an option to wipe files that are included in encyrpted files, and those extracted from encrypted files. So if PA had this, I could dump the other program.

Still, I know PA cannot do everything – you must pick choose. So this is just a wish . . … nothing more.

• conexware

added wiping to 12.5 beta… to be released this week… thanks for the suggestion.

• Banned

I am impressed. Look forward to seeing it.

I assume it will be upgradable via PatchBeam.

I also assume that you will let us know if you want us to alpha test ZTE.

• @spwolf:

added wiping to 12.5 beta… to be released this week… thanks for the suggestion.

This is fantastic news! It’s a good step forward with the significant steps forward within the security aspects only recently introduced into the PA Suite… ie FTP; Backup and Encryption options being FIPS Validated.

Now Wiping on Temp’s, this is something the competitors DONT do!

Without being pushy! and accepting its not a fully finished product, is there an option to verify the number of writes made like you would have in CCleaner, or steganos etc etc or is it a preset number?

Ideally if PA could have a Quick, Secure & Paranoid mode or custom wipes and detail of what that means then that too would be another fantastic feature… It also means you are ticking many firm’s buttons when it comes to wipe options regarding confidential archives.

• conexware

there are options: 1, 3 and 7 passes, based on that DoD 5220.22-M standard/suggestion. Is that what you meant Richard?

Looks like your connection to PowerArchiver Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.