Password/encryption doesn't work?

• I’m trying the trial version. I need to be able to send passworded zip files as .zip files to someone who knows the password, on both Windows and a Mac. I also don’t want anyone else who might use this computer to be able to open the passworded zip file without knowing the password. Therefore, I don’t want to use the PAE file type and I don’t want to enable the Password Manager.

But, when I try to encrypt the file with a password, it doesn’t ask me for a password when I try to open it and the zipped and supposedly encrypted file just opens as if it had no password. I’ve tried “Zip and options” from the context menu and unchecking Encrypt to PAE, whilst choosing Encryption > AES. I get asked to enter my password (twice) and it then zips it up, but I’m not asked for any password when opening the file. The same thing happens if I first zip the file from within PA, then try to separately encrypt it afterwards.

What, if anything, am I doing wrong please?

Also, if I want to zip a folder, how do I prevent it from creating a folder of the same name within the zipped folder (so as to avoid having to click twice)?

TIA

• conexware

did you try to encrypt some real file or? I just checked it and it works fine - make sure you are not encrypting 0 byte file, which wont work (empty file).

• conexware

you can always send us example file to support at conexware dot com and we will take an look

• @Stingray:

But, when I try to encrypt the file with a password, it doesn’t ask me for a password when I try to open it and the zipped and supposedly encrypted file just opens as if it had no password. I’ve tried “Zip and options” from the context menu and unchecking Encrypt to PAE, whilst choosing Encryption > AES. I get asked to enter my password (twice) and it then zips it up, but I’m not asked for any password when opening the file. The same thing happens if I first zip the file from within PA, then try to separately encrypt it afterwards.

What, if anything, am I doing wrong please?

After creating the archive, you should either

1. Close PA and re-open PA to check archive OR
    2. Verify the Option “Use same password for same session” is NOT active (as well as disabling Password Manager).

• Yes, it was a real file (4 actually) that I was trying to zip and encrypt. I already had the settings as TBGBe suggested.

In the end, I uninstalled it, re-downloaded it and re-installed it and it now seems to work OK. So I guess I my initial download was somehow corrupt or something.

Sorry to have troubled you with it.

• conexware

thanks for the update, closing the thread.

Users

Topics