Extracting large tar files (more that 4GB?) does not work, incomplete extraction

• Hello

I think I found a bug.

I have a .tar.bz2 file (I also tried with the standalone .tar version with same result), that is 2.5GB (the uncompressed .tar is 8.1G).

I extract the files from the .tar.gz, and only get a partial extraction. Trying to extract the ‘missing’ files manually, the file do get extracted, but are then extracted as 0-bytes file.

The archive (.tar.gz) I have problem with can be downloaded from Backtrack web site (a Linux distribution). At www.backtrack-linux.org, in the download section, it’s the ‘BackTrack 4 R1 Release VMware Image’. The archive is 2.5G.

I tried with another decompressor and that worked fine.

This is with PA 2010 11.61.06

Regards
    Eric

• MOving to PowerArchiver Support - not reported as a PACL fault (although a similar size limit may apply to PACL as well).

• conexware

@ehoffman:

Hello

I think I found a bug.

I have a .tar.bz2 file (I also tried with the standalone .tar version with same result), that is 2.5GB (the uncompressed .tar is 8.1G).

I extract the files from the .tar.gz, and only get a partial extraction. Trying to extract the ‘missing’ files manually, the file do get extracted, but are then extracted as 0-bytes file.

The archive (.tar.gz) I have problem with can be downloaded from Backtrack web site (a Linux distribution). At www.backtrack-linux.org, in the download section, it’s the ‘BackTrack 4 R1 Release VMware Image’. The archive is 2.5G.

I tried with another decompressor and that worked fine.

This is with PA 2010 11.61.06

Regards
    Eric

i am not sure what is the size limit in our support for TAR, it could be less than 8 GB easily…

• I noticed &zip has only recently added support for TAR > 8GB. So if there is a current limit, this could be an interesting wishlist (for both PA and PACL)?

Users

Topics

Copyright © 1998-2018 ConeXware, Inc.
All rights reserved. Privacy Policy