PAE files

• I was trying out PowerArchiver.

I was trying to figure out what the difference is between making a normal encrypted file, and making an encrypted file using PAE?

When I choose PAE, the encrypting and unencrypting takes MUCH longer than it does using normal encryption.

• Alpha Testers

All I can offer you about this is from the help file. At a guess I would say it is down to the encryption itself being much more secure. There is no way you can recover a forgotten PAE password. One of the devs may tell you why this takes longer.

From Help:-
    “ZIP” - encrypt file/archive in ZIP format encryption including AES encryption. Encryption methods:

“PK 2.04g” - creates standard ZIP archives, with weak encryption but readable by all Zip utilities.
    “AES 128-bits” - creates encrypted ZIP archives with AES 128-bit encryption, readable by newer Zip utilities (PowerArchiver 9.xx, PkZip 8.xx, WinZip 9.xx, etc).
    “AES 192-bits” - creates encrypted ZIP archives with AES 192-bit encryption, readable by newer Zip utilities (PowerArchiver 9.xx, PkZip 8.xx, WinZip 9.xx, etc).
    “AES 256-bits” - creates encrypted ZIP archives with AES 256-bit encryption, readable by newer Zip utilities (PowerArchiver 9.xx, PkZip 8.xx, WinZip 9.xx, etc).
    “7-Zip” - encrypt file/archive in 7-Zip AES 256-bits format.

“PAE” - encrypt selected file/archive in PAE container with following Encryption Methods:

PAE has 5 different methods of encryption available with Rijndael - AES (default) being the most secure. We recommend using Rijndael for encryption since it has been elected as a new Advanced Encryption Standard (AES).

• conexware

@TC93:

I was trying out PowerArchiver.

I was trying to figure out what the difference is between making a normal encrypted file, and making an encrypted file using PAE?

When I choose PAE, the encrypting and unencrypting takes MUCH longer than it does using normal encryption.

you should be quite safe with using ZIP AES or 7zip AES.

Users

Topics