Please Notice: For fastest support from PowerArchiver team, contact us via our Support page

PAE files

• I was trying out PowerArchiver.

I was trying to figure out what the difference is between making a normal encrypted file, and making an encrypted file using PAE?

When I choose PAE, the encrypting and unencrypting takes MUCH longer than it does using normal encryption.

• Alpha Testers

All I can offer you about this is from the help file. At a guess I would say it is down to the encryption itself being much more secure. There is no way you can recover a forgotten PAE password. One of the devs may tell you why this takes longer.

From Help:-
    “ZIP” - encrypt file/archive in ZIP format encryption including AES encryption. Encryption methods:

“PK 2.04g” - creates standard ZIP archives, with weak encryption but readable by all Zip utilities.
    “AES 128-bits” - creates encrypted ZIP archives with AES 128-bit encryption, readable by newer Zip utilities (PowerArchiver 9.xx, PkZip 8.xx, WinZip 9.xx, etc).
    “AES 192-bits” - creates encrypted ZIP archives with AES 192-bit encryption, readable by newer Zip utilities (PowerArchiver 9.xx, PkZip 8.xx, WinZip 9.xx, etc).
    “AES 256-bits” - creates encrypted ZIP archives with AES 256-bit encryption, readable by newer Zip utilities (PowerArchiver 9.xx, PkZip 8.xx, WinZip 9.xx, etc).
    “7-Zip” - encrypt file/archive in 7-Zip AES 256-bits format.

“PAE” - encrypt selected file/archive in PAE container with following Encryption Methods:

PAE has 5 different methods of encryption available with Rijndael - AES (default) being the most secure. We recommend using Rijndael for encryption since it has been elected as a new Advanced Encryption Standard (AES).

• conexware

@TC93:

I was trying out PowerArchiver.

I was trying to figure out what the difference is between making a normal encrypted file, and making an encrypted file using PAE?

When I choose PAE, the encrypting and unencrypting takes MUCH longer than it does using normal encryption.

you should be quite safe with using ZIP AES or 7zip AES.

Looks like your connection to PowerArchiver Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.