PAOP zipping files only between certain sizes



  • I’ve discovered a very strange behavior:

    Context:
    PA 2010 FR v11.50.66
    PAOP 2.03.03 US
    Windows 2000 FR, Windows XP SP3 FR, Windows Vista FR

    I’ve setup PAOP to compress files automatically over 300KB, but when sending files, PAOP compresses files if they’re over 300KB (that’s OK), but only if they’re under - let’s say 1MB (I’ve not precisely found where the limit is).

    I’ve then tested with PAOP 2.03.03 but with PA 2009 v11.03.04, and there, the upper limit seems to be around 5MB !!!

    If the size of the joined file is over the “limit” I’ve found, the file is simply joined and not compressed (there’s no zip file containing the file, the file is in the mail as it would be with no use of PAOP).
    No error raises, I just see the PA compression window popping up and closing immediately (quicker than if it does the compression).

    It has nothing to see with extensions (I’ve tested with several Excel or Word files), some are well-compressed, some not (depending on their sizes). And of course, .xls and .doc aren’t defined as excluded extensions for PAOP.

    If there’s no special setting for that in the menus or in the registry (I don’t see where !), there must then be a bug, as it’s completely reproducible and it happens on different computers on different OSs and even with the very last and just previous versions of PA.

    Did someone encounter the same ?

    Can you check this problem ?

    Thanks in advance.



  • I tried a 1mb, 1.7mb, and a 3mb. The first was pdf, PAOP did change the file, but being a pdf it didn’t compress it much. The second was JPG, PAOP did change the file to a zip, but once again the compression wasn’t dramatic. The final 3mb file was a powerpoint, PAOP changed the file to a zip and compressed it down to 2mb.

    So on my limited testing it seems to be working.

    PA 11.50.66
    PAOP 2.03



  • Perhaps does it have something to see with language ?

    Indeed, I’m using PA French on French OS, but with PAOP US (this last one doesn’t exist in French…).


  • conexware

    Hi,

    here is our internal release of PAOP 2.1 beta:
    http://www.powerarchiver.com/test/release10/paop210b.exe

    differences are new unicode handling of filenames (which might have been the problem in your case). Please check it out and let us know.

    thanks!


  • Alpha Testers

    well I know it’s an old complaint of mine but it still refuses to intergrate/show in outlook 2007 for me but I gave up in the end…just had my fingers crossed it would work this time.



  • No, sorry, even with PAOP 2.10.01 beta, there’s no change:

    • a XLS file of 4702Kb is joined “as is”.
    • a XLS file of 1095Kb is joined “as is”.
    • a XLS file of 517Kb is joined ZIPPED.

    (My compression lower limit is set to 300Kb)

    There still seems to be an “upper limit” (around 1Mo for me), so that files between 300Kb and 1Mb are correctly compressed while sending, and files outside this range are not…


  • conexware

    @ALoubert:

    No, sorry, even with PAOP 2.10.01 beta, there’s no change:

    • a XLS file of 4702Kb is joined “as is”.
    • a XLS file of 1095Kb is joined “as is”.
    • a XLS file of 517Kb is joined ZIPPED.

    (My compression lower limit is set to 300Kb)

    There still seems to be an “upper limit” (around 1Mo for me), so that files between 300Kb and 1Mb are correctly compressed while sending, and files outside this range are not…

    can you export your reg key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PAOutlook

    and zip it and send it to support at conexware com. This way we will be able to reproduce this issue with exactly your settings.

    thank you,



  • OK, I just sent the requested file to you…


 

5
Online

9.8k
Users

6.0k
Topics

36.8k
Posts