Please Notice: For fastest support from PowerArchiver team, contact us via our Support page

PA 2010 gets hung or stuck when decompressing zip and rar files with high cpu usage

• This strange behavior can’t be only pointed to the PA 2010, it happened also with the 2008 version, too. What it happens is that the PA process doesn’t decompress inmediately, it completes but after 1 or 2 minutes, i can see the process getting up in the Windows Task Administrator. I think this can be related to a performance problem for the application and i must wait being upset of course.

• conexware

what kind of antivirus are you using? Maybe it is scanning PowerArchiver before it lets it access files?

• I got Symantec Endpoint Protection v.11 with three protection technologies, antivirus and antispyware protection, proactive threat protection and network threat protection. Which of the three technologies do u think is scanning and giving this performance issue?😕

• Alpha Testers

I recall having a similar issue many moons ago…
    I’d try disabling the antivirus for a short period and test the decompressing once again just to confirm that it is indeed linked to the antivirus program.

• Thanks for your feedback. Would also try a centralized exception. But which file or executable must i choose, could be POWERARC.EXE? This could become handy to avoid the scanning issue, it’s a proactive threat scan with ignore action. Oh, i forgot, my system runs Vista Ultimate SP1, 2 GB RAM, 1TB WD Caviar Black, HP Pavilion

• Alpha Testers

I took drastic measures in the end and uninstalled the program in question and in the end I had to opt for a different program because it seemed neither developer had an answer for my problem.

personally I’d try that just to eliminate that piece of software.

• conexware

@juliomontiel:

Thanks for your feedback. Would also try a centralized exception. But which file or executable must i choose, could be POWERARC.EXE? This could become handy to avoid the scanning issue, it’s a proactive threat scan with ignore action. Oh, i forgot, my system runs Vista Ultimate SP1, 2 GB RAM, 1TB WD Caviar Black, HP Pavilion

just turn off antivirus completly for few minutes just to make sure thats the cause of the issue (it might not be). Keep in mind that if you “disable” it, some AV’s still continue to work unfortunatly, so you need to turn it off and then check. Once alerted to the issue, AV vendors are usually relativly quick with addressing the problem, we just need to make sure it is due to AV and not something else.

• Thanks for all. Will try to do as indicated. Would answer as soon as i found the performance issue.

• I had a similar issue with ESET v’s 3 & 4, reported it to the developers and they could not find any solutions. So after searching far and wide I’m currently using norton internet security 2010 beta. So far it’s the least restrictive suite (extracting archives, launching programs and no slowdowns with LAN/WAN). You may want to give it a try if you haven’t found one you like yet. 🙂

• Alpha Testers

surprised you had issues with ‘NOD32’ skypx…
    it’s never caused me an ounce of trouble in any of their versions.

sorry for hijacking the thread.

• Ditto! Today I compressed a 4gb Folder containing mdb,xls,csv’s,txt and dat files. Took 20 mins and I was using ESET Security Suite 4 But the same with Avast on another system. I have never had to disable my security software during normal work duties! However, I do when i play games.

Looks like your connection to PowerArchiver Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.