Zipx archives

• Can you add support for .zipx archives because it’s part of WinZip 12.1?

• conexware

you can already open zipx archives, and RC1 will associate itself with them.

• I haven’t installed RC1 yet, but is PA going to use .zipx by default for Unicode or non-Deflate zip archives? That’s what it sounds like WinZip is doing… finally. I thought that their fragmenting of “what a .zip file is, and where they work” was a terrible idea.

• conexware

@ardax:

I haven’t installed RC1 yet, but is PA going to use .zipx by default for Unicode or non-Deflate zip archives? That’s what it sounds like WinZip is doing… finally. I thought that their fragmenting of “what a .zip file is, and where they work” was a terrible idea.

me too :).

but it will be for advanced methods only (aes, unicode, etc, will be still standard zip and there is option to turn off creating of zipx if you want)…

I am afraid damage was already done to zip format, as this has taken 5 years to happen…

• Observations from the Add dialog, as triggered by the shell extension:

• I see that changing to an “advanced” compression method automatically changes the archive extension to .zipx. Nice. It’d be extra nice if it could switch it back to .zip when appropriate.

• Why is “Store” marked with a “.zipx” extension? It doesn’t actually change the archive extension, this is just in the Method combobox.

• Why the the Compression combobox still enabled when Method is set to Store?

• Changing the Encryption to AES doesn’t trigger a .zipx extension.

• BTW did you compared .zipx compression rates for PA2010 and winzip 12.1? I did a fast test, chose optimize for both applications, and winzip’s file came out a bit smaller than PA’s one….

• conexware

@yoniy0:

BTW did you compared .zipx compression rates for PA2010 and winzip 12.1? I did a fast test, chose optimize for both applications, and winzip’s file came out a bit smaller than PA’s one….

depends on type of files, we still dont have jpeg compression… everything else should be around same compression or slightly better, and we use multicore while they dont, so on >dual cores it should be significantly faster.

• conexware

@ardax:

Observations from the Add dialog, as triggered by the shell extension:

• I see that changing to an “advanced” compression method automatically changes the archive extension to .zipx. Nice. It’d be extra nice if it could switch it back to .zip when appropriate.

• Why is “Store” marked with a “.zipx” extension? It doesn’t actually change the archive extension, this is just in the Method combobox.

• Why the the Compression combobox still enabled when Method is set to Store?

• Changing the Encryption to AES doesn’t trigger a .zipx extension.

everything still does not work as it should, but we left aes as normal zip as there are many zip utilities that support it now and have been for 4-5 years now.

on the other hand, lzma and other newer methods are only readable by 2-3 programs including PA.

• conexware

keep in mind that in PA, you can select various compression strenghts for optimized, and Ultra/Max are very different from Normal…

Users

Topics

Copyright © 1998-2018 ConeXware, Inc.
All rights reserved. Privacy Policy