Please Notice: For fastest support from PowerArchiver team, contact us via our Support page

PA2010 and Unicode

• The graphical interface part of PA2020 still doesn’t support unicode completely. I initially raised this issue here. I am particularly concerned about displaying unicode file names and inputting unicode characters in the 7z and rar format.

PA2010 simply still can’t display unicode names inside 7z and rar files. Also, for 7z files, PA allows you to rename files inside them. You can’t input unicode characters here either.

As far as unicode handling is concerned, the original 7-Zip file manager is the best. Of course, it can’t edit (e.g. rename files inside) rar files, but it can display unicode names inside rar files fine. WinRAR file manager is far behind 7-zip. It can display unicode names inside rar files (of course :)), but it can’t display unicode names inside 7z files correctly (and doesn’t accept unicode paths in, for example, the “Extract to…” window). Now, PA is tied with (or somewhat worse than) WinRAR. This is really unsatisfactory 😞

• conexware

i cant reproduce the issue, it works fine here. Can you please attach an example archive here so we can check it out.

• OK, there are three text files whose names are in Chinese, Japanese, and Russian.

I am using PA 2010 11.50.48 RC1.
    attachment_p_18679_0_test.7z
    attachment_p_18679_1_test.rar

• conexware

works fine here - what OS are you using? maybe it is more specific… Also, can you go to options and reset defaults? it might be due to some option being on.

thanks,

• I am using Vista. I don’t think there are any option settings that affect unicode handling. The fact is that they work fine in the 7-Zip file manager and they don’t in PA2010 on my end. Could you change the regional setting/system locale for Windows from Control Panel and see if they still work. Also, can you input (copy and paste), for example, Chinenese characters in any input windows of PA2010 (e.g. rename)?

• conexware

there is no chance for language setting to make chinese and arabic work together. Mine is set to English in any case.

Can you please reset your settings to default and check then? Your PA settings of course.

I can rename files inside 7z too, copy and paste cyrilic name inside arabic one….

• conexware

you could also go to your registry, export your HKCU\Software\PowerArchiver setting and zip it, and send it to support at conexware . com

and we can try with your settings, thats even better.

• Can you please reset your settings to default and check then?

OK, resetting worked 😉 (The nag screen is back!)

So, the culprit is Configuration > Miscllaneous > allow all lower case file name.

I looked up this setting in the help file, thinking what is wrong with allowing lower case file names. I don’t think this setting should affect unicode handling. For one thing, how it’s worded is confusing. But for languages that don’t have any distinction of lower and upper case (e.g. Chinese), this setting shouldn’t affect the availability of file names in those languages.

• conexware

@infimum:

OK, resetting worked 😉 (The nag screen is back!)

So, the culprit is Configuration > Miscllaneous > allow all lower case file name.

I looked up this setting in the help file, thinking what is wrong with allowing lower case file names. I don’t think this setting should affect unicode handling. For one thing, how it’s worded is confusing. But for languages that don’t have any distinction of lower and upper case (e.g. Chinese), this setting shouldn’t affect the availability of file names in those languages.

there you go :).

that function is probably not unicode compatible and it breaks support for it… i dont remember why exactly would someone use it anymore :).

• @spwolf:

that function is probably not unicode compatible and it breaks support for it… i dont remember why exactly would someone use it anymore :).

So I think we have an option that can be removed :p
    I don’t think there is any need for PA to check case as nowadays windows doesn’t care whether name is upper, lower or mixed case 😕

• @spwolf:

i dont remember why exactly would someone use it anymore :).

I suspect it’s there from the days that zip file contents were often or always DOS-style filenames that were all caps. This would make listings more readable.

I’d agree with TBGBe that there’s probably no reason for this option anymore (especially if it causes problems sometimes…).

• conexware

i should go on on hunt for options we dont need anymore 🙂

• conexware

This issue has been fixed in following pre-release:
    http://www.powerarchiver.com/test/alpha115/powarc1150rc3.exe

Please let me know if it works fine now. Thanks!

Looks like your connection to PowerArchiver Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.