PA 21.00.18 running on Windows 7 64 bit.
I made a big .PA file and thought I’d check it was made correctly with Menu / Actions / Test.
a) PA always issues a UAC prompt to do this!
b) PA always says there are many errors in PA files.
WinRAR 5 has a rather useful option in some cases, which is to be able to create an archive by replacing identical files with a reference to the first occurrence (hardlink) within the archive.
In case you choose to convert the file with PowerArchiver to another format, however, the resulting archive does not have all the files. It does not consider those that were present as hardlinks.
If you do a normal extraction of the RAR archive instead, even with PowerArchivier, all the files are extracted correctly.
When adding to a file archive, and selecting for example PA format, strong optimization method, extreme compression. In the Advanced Options section you change to Automatic, EXE Filter and PDF filter . You return to the main section and save the Profile. When you then reload the profile you do not have the Automatic options of EXE Filter and PDF saved there.
I noticed that instead if you change other options they are saved correctly (except for the Filter box values).
Also among the various changes to the advanced options you click the “Calculate RAM usage” button the value seems to be added to the previous one. You can see it for example just by clicking the button twice in a row, the value changes. Edit: actually after many attempts now it seems to write a stable value (it does not change with each click). Maybe a synchronization problem in the calculation?
Used PowerArchivier 2023 but there is the same behavior with the 2022
PA 2010 Beta 3: Bugs ShellExt and Queue
There’s some weird bugs in Beta 3 with the Shell Extension when the Queue is enabled.
Here’s repro steps:
1. Right click on folder in Explorer
2. Select Compress to … + Options in context menu.
3. Select CAB as archive type.
4. Set Method to LZX
5. Make sure “Add to Queue” is checked.
6. Click “Add.”
The resulting archive file is using MsZIP compression, not LZX. If you follow the same steps only uncheck “Add to Queue”, then the resulting archive is LZX packed.
I’m not sure if this affects other archive types or not, I haven’t tested further.
Another bug I ran into while dorking around with the details on this one is as follows:
1. Start with an empty folder (foo).
2. Create a subfolder (bar). Toss some files in.
3. Right-click on bar, select Compress to … + Options
4. Make sure archive type is CAB.
5. Click Add.
Everything’s fine so far. In foo, you have a folder bar, and a file bar.cab.
Now to make it go pear-shaped.
1. Right-click on bar again, select Compress to … + Options
2. Make sure Archive type is CAB.
3. Make sure Add to Queue is checked.
4. Change the archive name. (e.g. grah.cab)
5. Click Add.
6. Proceed to be greeted by a prompt asking you to overwrite bar.cab.
It gets weirder.
7. Click “Yes.”
bar.cab gets deleted, and grah.cab is created.
This bug happened with CAB files for me, but not 7-Zip. I don’t know if other archive types are affected or not.
All happening in XP SP 3, Beta 3 installed on top of Beta 2.