Win 11 64 bit
I have some archives which have been encrypted, using the encrypt option either in pbs or when interactively creating a zip. When I open these, and look at files, I am asked for passwords, which I know, and then can view items or decrypt the files in the archive (tools>decrypt files).
However, when I use the Actions>Remove Archive Encryption (whether using the same zip or asking to write another), the routine shows progress bar to the end, but then just hangs i.e. “OK” never activates. All process information shows this stalled/hanging.
What can I do to sort this out?
Download this ZIP file: http://dslstats.me.uk/files/dslstats32W-6.5.zip
Everything in the ZIP file is in a directory “dslstats32W-6.5”.
However when I extract using right click “Extract Here” the name of the directory created is “2W-6.5” !
I am running PA 22.00.09 on Windows 11. I have seen the same happen with some other kinds of archive too.
If I compress a folder to a .pa using right click, Compress to folder.pa and use the new Windows 11 menu then the Options, Configuration, Miscellaneous, Use normal relative path setting is always enabled.
But I like this option disabled so I have to use the old style menu in order to get PA to compress a folder in the way I wish.
Just tried using the Modern (Windows 10) Icon set and seeing a few missing icons in both PowerArchiver Burner and PowerArchiver Encryption screens . They are all there in the Minimalistik icon set and the only difference I can see is the former is blue and the latter grey. In version 22.00.9
there were some security issues fixed in 7zip:
As it seems, that PowerArchiver and PACL use the 7zip libraries, could you please update them to the latest version?
I noticed that the version of ZPAQ used is older than the latest released 7.15 https://mattmahoney.net/dc/zpaq.html also there seems to be a newer fork that adds several features https://github.com/fcorbelli/zpaqfranz
It would be useful to implement this latest version (it also maintains the same syntax and behavior as the latest official release if used the -715 flag) and add when opening a zpaq file a choice of the version of the files to show (e.g. as dummy folders represented the various versions present). Since any previous changes are stored with this format, it is possible to extract a snapshot of a certain date/version.
If I open a password-protected zipper file (created with WinRAR but I think that’s irrelevant), open it with PowerArchiver and run “Remove Encryption” on the same file, then reopen it and add a password with “Encrypt Archive,” the resulting archive will be protected with the old ZipCrypto algorithm and not AES as indicated.
(this can be verified, for example, by trying to open the archive files with Windows Explorer, which does not support the AES algorithm)
PA 2010 compression bug?
I have installed the beta and tried to compress a directory containing the files for one of my VMware virtual machines (approximately 30GB worth of files).
The compression seems to work great. PA drives my quad core, hyperthreaded machine to the max (which is great). At the end of the process, there is no zip file in the destination directory. When I try to compress smaller directories/files, everything seems to work as expected.
what are the settings used? Maybe problem with temp folder space?
How much smaller are smaller archives?
I have tried different settings as well as the right-click “Compress to…” option, so I don’t think that is the problem. I have set my temp directory to my E: drive which has 1.33TB of free space.
I tried zipping a file which was about 3.5GB in size with no problem.
i need one of the settings that didnt work and how you got there (main PA, shell?)… how much free space is on drive that hosts those big files and how much space is on destination drive…
all are ntfs drives, right?
many, many possible options which is why i have to have info.
I’ll try to provide all the info you need.
This is a Core i7 system w/12GB of ram running Vista 64.
The source and target drive was the same, my E: drive which has around 1.33TB free and is formatted as NTFS. I used the shell extension. I tried using the ‘Compress to “filename.zip”’ option and the ‘Compress With Options’ choice. When trying the …with options choice, I tried splitting the output file in DVD sized chunks (no other defaults changed).
I also just found another problem. I have another set of split zip files that Winzip and PA 2009 unzip with no problems. This set of files have a zip, z01, z02, z03 and z04 file in the set. PA 2010 gives a crc error as it is unzipping (seems to be around 10-15% into the uncompression process).
did you try without the spanning?
try with these options please:
1. Start Main PA
2. create new archive where you want
3. Options for creation
Write directly into zip
No spanning in options Tab
does that work? And we will go from there… we have i7 as well where we tested everything… quick eh? :-)
I tried the steps outlines. During the archive creation process, I saw a temp file created in the destination directory. Everything seemed to be progressing normally until it reached the end. At that time, the temp file disappeared and PA showed no files in the archive when looking at the gui.
thanks, i am trying it myself and it seems it is being little rude to us at aroung 66 GB we test with :-).
Cool! I am glad it isn’t just me :)
Thanks for the quick responses and working with me!
there were issues with both - creating and extracting large ZIP archives (over 4 GB). Should be fixed in next beta.
I really don’t want to ask, (I’m not being inpatient just curious) but will a new beta be released today. I just reinstalled Vista and I’m torn between installing PA2009 or a newer beta of PA2010. Thanks. :)
please check with official beta 1, and let us know if this has been fixed… thank you!