Please Notice: For fastest support from PowerArchiver team, contact us via our Support page

PA 2009 B5 - tar/gz file problems



  • I’ve tried opening and using a couple tar/tgz/tar.gz files and have been having problems.

    It turns out that these problems seem to have to do with opening the file directly from the web browser (instead of saving it to a file on disk first).

    For example, the C source for a memory allocation library is available here:

    http://www.fourmilab.ch/bget/bget.tar.gz

    I’m using Firefox - if I click on the link I get a dialog that lets me select whether to open the file in PS or save it to disk. If I save it to disk, all is OK - I can open that file in PA and things work normally.

    However, if I tell Firefox to open the file in PA, PA displays the name as “bget.tar.gz.tar” in the title bar and things act very strange.

    When that file is opened, it shows another file inside it, bget.tar.gz with a size of 81,920 bytes (19,727 packed).

    Double clicking that file inside PA 2009B5 does nothing. If I extract the file by drag-n-drop I get a 0 byte result. If I extract using the toolbar I get a file named “bget.tar.gz” with the correct size.

    If I open that bget.tar.gz file in PA 2009 B5 - either the file with what appears to be the correct length or the 0 length file - all that shows up is the root of my file system (the desktop to be exact). This is whether I open it inside PA using the File/Open menu or the toolbar, or if I open it by double clicking.

    Now here’s where it gets really weird - say I have already extracted the bget.tar.gz file from bget.tar.gz.tar using the toolbar so it has the correct size. Now I extract again still using the toolbar, not drag-n-drop. Instead of asking me if I want to overwrite, PA will extract the file, but with the name “bget.tar”. The 2 files have the exact same content. Now if I open the “bget.tar” file I can see the contents and extract the enclosed files.



  • @mwb1100:

    I’ve tried opening and using a couple tar/tgz/tar.gz files and have been having problems.

    It turns out that these problems seem to have to do with opening the file directly from the web browser (instead of saving it to a file on disk first).

    For example, the C source for a memory allocation library is available here:

    http://www.fourmilab.ch/bget/bget.tar.gz

    I’m using Firefox - if I click on the link I get a dialog that lets me select whether to open the file in PS or save it to disk. If I save it to disk, all is OK - I can open that file in PA and things work normally.

    However, if I tell Firefox to open the file in PA, PA displays the name as “bget.tar.gz.tar” in the title bar and things act very strange.

    When that file is opened, it shows another file inside it, bget.tar.gz with a size of 81,920 bytes (19,727 packed).

    Double clicking that file inside PA 2009B5 does nothing. If I extract the file by drag-n-drop I get a 0 byte result. If I extract using the toolbar I get a file named “bget.tar.gz” with the correct size.

    If I open that bget.tar.gz file in PA 2009 B5 - either the file with what appears to be the correct length or the 0 length file - all that shows up is the root of my file system (the desktop to be exact). This is whether I open it inside PA using the File/Open menu or the toolbar, or if I open it by double clicking.

    Now here’s where it gets really weird - say I have already extracted the bget.tar.gz file from bget.tar.gz.tar using the toolbar so it has the correct size. Now I extract again still using the toolbar, not drag-n-drop. Instead of asking me if I want to overwrite, PA will extract the file, but with the name “bget.tar”. The 2 files have the exact same content. Now if I open the “bget.tar” file I can see the contents and extract the enclosed files.

    Tried this with Firefox 3 - file is identified as TAR file 😕
    Seems like this is a Firefox problem (info passed to PA) as it does not happen if I do the same with Opera browser which passes it as a Gzip file to PA.



  • @TBGBe:

    Tried this with Firefox 3 - file is identified as TAR file 😕
    Seems like this is a Firefox problem (info passed to PA) as it does not happen if I do the same with Opera browser which passes it as a Gzip file to PA.

    That looks to be the situation.

    But the ‘extraction’ behavior from the incorrectly identified .tgz file (opened as a TAR file) seems to be buggy. Sometimes a 0 length file, sometimes a correct file with the name being right or wrong depending on what’s already in the destination.

    I don’t do a whole lot with TAR files, I just occasionally come across them on the internet. So I suppose this is not really a big deal.


  • conexware

    problem comes from web browsers, to work around, you need to use save as instead of simply opening file, it should work properly.

    thanks


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to PowerArchiver Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.