Filename extensions changed ??

• I have a .tar.gz from a CPanel full backup, and there are quite a number of files within the archive, that Powerarchiver “reports” as having a different filename extension.

The problem is not with Cpanel, or with the actual archive, because my web host provider has been able to extract the full contents of the archive, and all the filename extensions are okay.

Powerarchiver is listing the files as having different filename extensions, and therefore when I extract the archive locally, there are many files (337 out of 4,373 files) with invalid extensions.

The extensions are changed as follows:

.GIF –-> .GIF0000444
    .HTML —> .HTML0000444
    .php ----> .php0000444

I’m using version 10.01.03, but actually I have noticed this problem with earlier versions, however as it was only a few files, I simply renamed them.

It appears the bug in Powerarchiver is somehow referencing the filename permissions (444) and appending it to the filename extension.

Peter

• I just opened the same archive with “7-Zip” and the filename extensions are okay.

• Hmm… sounds familiar

Is it this problem resurfacing? 😞
    http://www.powerarchiver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854

• Thanks for that link. It sure does look like a very similar problem. 😞

When I extracted the tar.gz locally, PA even created this folder

\public_html***\thumbs\0000755\

and there is definitely no such filename on the website, I just checked. The permissions on the path “thumbs” is 755 though, so the bug seems ‘constant’ to some degree, appending the file permissions, but seems to be doing it quite randomly (which I guess contradicts what I said about being ‘constant’).

I used both PA and 7-Zip to extract the archive, then used beyond compare to do a binary comparision of all the files, 4006 match and 341 are different, having filename extensions as explained in the first post.

The file sizes and timestamps are exact though, in the Beyond compare display, it’s just the file extensions that are messed up.

Bit of a problem alright.

• @TBGBe:

Hmm… sounds familiar

Is it this problem resurfacing? 😞
    http://www.powerarchiver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854

No it isn’t. I cannot reproduce that problem in 10.01.03
    using the “boost” sources (9378 files).

• @peterr:

When I extracted the tar.gz locally, PA even created this folder …

Can you try creating the backup with PA (tar.gz) as a test to see if the problem still occurs?

• @TBGBe:

Can you try creating the backup with PA (tar.gz) as a test to see if the problem still occurs?

Yes, I created a tar.gz with PA on all the archive files, and I used the ‘correct’ files, that is, those with correct filename extensions.

PA has even messed that up, lots of weird filename extensions like:

H0000002
    HT0000002
    HTM0000002
    HTML0000002
    HTML444
    P0000002
    PH0000002
    PHP0000002
    PHP00444
    PHP0100444
    etc,etc

I also used the same files to create an archive with a ZIP and a 7Z extension, and there are no strange filename extensions. Seems it is only happening with .TAR.GZ files, and yet a Linux ‘tar’ program plus the (freeware) 7-Zip software were both able to view the contents correctly, …. but not PA. 😞

• Something similar here

• How do I log this as a bug please ?

• This is getting ridiculous, I just created an archive (.tar.gz) with 2 files in it, and both have weird filename extensions.

Both these files had long filenames; does PA have any problems in that area ? This thread - http://www.powerarchiver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1302&highlight=long+filename seems similar.

Looks like I use “7-Zip” until this is sorted out. 😞

• @peterr:

This is getting ridiculous, I just created an archive (.tar.gz) with 2 files in it, and both have weird filename extensions.

Both these files had long filenames; does PA have any problems in that area ?

What do you mean by “long”? How long are your path/filenames (how many characters)?
    Can you provide the test file you created?

@peterr:

How do I log this as a bug please ?

Well, spwolf and Ivan are the developers/ConeXware representatives - both check these forums regularly, you may assume that when they see this they will take on the internal “bug reporting/fixing”.

However, you could also create a premium support request if you want more “direct/personal” access. Just click on the Support link on the ribbon bar at the top of the forums.

• @TBGBe:

What do you mean by “long”? How long are your path/filenames (how many characters)?

By ‘long’ I meant the filename itself is 28 chars, then add the period, then the file extension of ‘tpl’ in this case, and we have 32 just for the filename, … so that is ‘long’.

The path/filename are 115 bytes in total.

@TBGBe:

Can you provide the test file you created?

Possibly, I’d have to be certain the archive doesn’t contain any confidential info, it is for a website after all.

Thanks for the info on bug reporting, it’s not ‘super urgent’, so I will wait and see if one of the developers replies to this thread.

Thanks for your help. 🙂

• @peterr:

By ‘long’ I meant the filename itself is 28 chars, then add the period, then the file extension of ‘tpl’ in this case, and we have 32 just for the filename, … so that is ‘long’.

The path/filename are 115 bytes in total.

Well, 32 char filename shouldn’t be the problem.
    However 115 path/filename may be - in the thread you linked to
    @spwolf:

PA can currently compress correctly TAR path+filename of around 110 characters - although it should be able to uncompress up to maximum under Windows.

So that maybe the problem with your simple case.

Although, I don’t know if things have changed since 2005.

• @TBGBe:

However 115 path/filename may be - in the thread you linked to

Okay, but that was dated 11-07-2005, surely PA has been improved since then ?

Also, the total of 115 I gave included the full pathname/filename source, but if I deduct the path length from were the source files are, it is 12 less, so total 103. That is, the total pathname/filename in the actual archive is 103 chars. This relates to an archive that PA created, where the filename extension is corrupt.

Also …. from the other thread

@spwolf:

how do you mean strange abbrevations? Keep in mind that windows file system limit is 256 characters, everything above that will simply not get extracted properly and probably create small havoc in Windows (wont be deletable by Windows Explorer).

Yet I just totalled up the path/filename that PA had extracted from a tar.gz and where the filename extension is ‘corrupt’ and the total length us 140 bytes, way less than 256.

• There are two seperate/different limits being discussed…

When PA creates the TAR file (compression) the 110 char limit is for the complete path/filename length (so you cannot subtract filename to get below 110.

When PA extracts from a TAR archive (created by another application) it should only be limited by OS - this is the 256 limit.

So the compression name length limit may explain the problem you recreated - when creating the TAR using the two sample files.

However, it does NOT explain the problem you encounter when extracting the other file (created by Cpanel ?) - this is now a seperate problem.

Unfortunately, we “know” this was fixed in PA 9.5; but maybe further changes re-introduced the extraction problem 😕

We will have to wait for spwolf or Ivan to confirm I’m afraid.

• conexware

Hi,

can you attach example file? Just make it as small as possible.

thank you!

• Having tried a few different things, decided to set the config. to ‘default’.

Tried the compression again, and the filename extensions are okay, but the pathname is not correct for uploading to the website.

I always need to have the option “use normal relative path” checked, to make the pathname ‘valid’ for uploading.

So, is this a ‘clue’ to the problem ?

Under PA settings:

-Config
    –-misc
    ------use normal relative path

• When checked, file extensions are messed up

• When unchecked they are okay, but the pathname is not ‘suitable’.

I can re-arrange folders locally so that the correct pathname is included as the first one (highest), …BUT I think the only way I can get ‘empty paths’ into an archive is to have this option set on (checked). 😞

This is only a small test, with those 2 files, but they are part of a substantial (path) heirarchy.

Just tested a considerable number of files (3250) with the option “use normal relative path” unchecked, and all the filename extensions are okay. Now I can see the full pathname/filename for one of these is 91 chars. If I include the “full” source pathname/filename, it is 149 chars.

Have now used the same files to create an archive, with the option “use normal relative path” checked, and the filename extensions are messed up. Even with the additional pathname added, it is still only 103 chars

So, could that option be the cause of the ‘bug’ ??

• @TBGBe:

There are two seperate/different limits being discussed…

When PA creates the TAR file (compression) the 110 char limit is for the complete path/filename length (so you cannot subtract filename to get below 110.

Depends if the limit includes the “full” path/filename ‘source’ or not.

When ‘adding’ a path to an archive, is the path/s above that path, included in the limit ??

@TBGBe:

When PA extracts from a TAR archive (created by another application) it should only be limited by OS - this is the 256 limit.

Again, does the 256 limit only include the pathname shown in the archive, or the “full” pathname to where the destination files are uncompressed/extracted ??

Neither of these “limits” are clear.

@TBGBe:

However, it does NOT explain the problem you encounter when extracting the other file (created by Cpanel ?) - this is now a seperate problem.

I don’t see that as a seperate problem. The file created by Cpanel ‘backup’ checked out 100% okay on the Linux machine, using 'Tar" command. It also checked out okay using “7-Zip” on Win XP pro, BUT PA failed to read many of the filename extensions correctly.

That is exactly the same problem as PA being unable to create correct filenames.

In both cases, the problem only occurs in PA. 😃

• @spwolf:

can you attach example file? Just make it as small as possible.

I can already see from Archive files that the information contained in the archive would compromise our website security.

It’s a bit like someone asking me for the keys to my house; I’m sure you understand. 🙂

I could send you (privately) these 2 files, and supply the directory structure I have here. If that was setup on a Win xp pro box, with the same version of PA, all things being equal (and config settings the same), the ‘problem’ should be able to be replicated.

• @spwolf:

can you attach example file?

I have sent a PM, with all the details needed to create the 2 files, plus replicate the same local directory structure I have.

Users

Topics