PowerArchiver 2007 bug/error as of Beta 9



  • The problem I found is with PowerArchiver 2007 Beta 8 and Beta 9. I do NOT know if it existed before.

    I frequently label folders and even files with version numbers.

    The problem I noticed is with files that have a period (.) in the name before the period that separates the name from the extension. I tested files with various sample names and as ZIP, 7Z, RAR, and CAB archives. I did NOT test LHA, BH, TAR, or any other archive formats.

    Below are four examples that were actually tested that demonstrate the problem.

    • Magical_Cookie_Maker_v7.4.zip
    • RAMDiskXP_v2.0.100.zip
    • Test_Batman.Robin.Test.7z
    • ZWT ABC 45.3xx.rar

    What happens is this:

    One can open any type of archive (ZIP, 7Z, RAR, etc) in PowerArchiver 2007 and click on the “Extract Files” button. An Extract window will open up and will have a pathname in the “Extract to:” field.

    If the archive has a name with a period in it (besides the period that preceeds the extension), then the folder at the end of the pathname in the Extract To field will be truncated to the part of the file name that preceeded the first period.

    For example, if you have the file “RAMDiskXP_v2.0.100.zip” in C:\ and go to extract this file, the Extract To field will show “C:\RAMDiskXP_v2” and cut off the “.0.100”. The Extract To field should show “C:\RAMDiskXP_v2.0.100”.

    For the “Test_Batman.Robin_Test.7z” file, the Extract To field will show “…\Test_Batman” and cut off the “Robin_Test”. The Extract To field should show “…\Test_Batman.Robin_Test”.

    Again, I have replicated this problem with many different file names and archive types.

    This problem does NOT occur if one right-clicks on a file and uses the Shell Extension “Extract To PATHNAME” option.

    I hope the issue is clear. Let me know if anyone has a question.


  • conexware

    this has been around forever… someone complaining about it, might get us to fix it actually :-).



  • Yes, please fix it. I don’t see any benefit in not fixing it and it has already annoyed me.

    It would appear to be some type of parsing error where when a period is hit, the pathname generation is stopped. I wouldn’t think it would be a huge deal to fix, but as you know, some bugs can be a real pain.

    BTW, if the error has been around forever, and it hasn’t been fixed (or at least had some real effort put into trying to fix it), I wouldn’t brag about it. That said, maybe nobody (outside of the company anyway) has brought it up and so it got put on the “back burner”. 😉


  • conexware

    @Liberty:

    Yes, please fix it. I don’t see any benefit in not fixing it and it has already annoyed me.

    It would appear to be some type of parsing error where when a period is hit, the pathname generation is stopped. I wouldn’t think it would be a huge deal to fix, but as you know, some bugs can be a real pain.

    BTW, if the error has been around forever, and it hasn’t been fixed (or at least had some real effort put into trying to fix it), I wouldn’t brag about it. That said, maybe nobody (outside of the company anyway) has brought it up and so it got put on the “back burner”. 😉

    it is not an bug, just an way how we were handling extension exclusion from the filename… instead of right to left, we did left to right, in this particular case… Which is wrong.



  • Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I understand now what is the problem. No, it really isn’t a bug, it’s just the result of the approach/implementation used… works fine for files that only have the one period separating the name from the extension, but doesn’t when periods are found in the filename.


  • conexware

    @Liberty:

    Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I understand now what is the problem. No, it really isn’t a bug, it’s just the result of the approach/implementation used… works fine for files that only have the one period separating the name from the extension, but doesn’t when periods are found in the filename.

    additonally, it was improved in shell, we just forgot about this option in condig :-).

    Another thing about having many options….



  • Well, I see that PowerArchiver 2007 Beta 10 has fixed this issue. Thank you.

    One down, and … to go.

    Of course, there’s always something I suppose.

    Keep up the great work. 😉


Locked
 

7
Online

9.8k
Users

6.0k
Topics

36.6k
Posts

Copyright © 1998-2018 ConeXware, Inc.
All rights reserved. Privacy Policy