Win 11 64 bit
I have some archives which have been encrypted, using the encrypt option either in pbs or when interactively creating a zip. When I open these, and look at files, I am asked for passwords, which I know, and then can view items or decrypt the files in the archive (tools>decrypt files).
However, when I use the Actions>Remove Archive Encryption (whether using the same zip or asking to write another), the routine shows progress bar to the end, but then just hangs i.e. “OK” never activates. All process information shows this stalled/hanging.
What can I do to sort this out?
Download this ZIP file: http://dslstats.me.uk/files/dslstats32W-6.5.zip
Everything in the ZIP file is in a directory “dslstats32W-6.5”.
However when I extract using right click “Extract Here” the name of the directory created is “2W-6.5” !
I am running PA 22.00.09 on Windows 11. I have seen the same happen with some other kinds of archive too.
If I compress a folder to a .pa using right click, Compress to folder.pa and use the new Windows 11 menu then the Options, Configuration, Miscellaneous, Use normal relative path setting is always enabled.
But I like this option disabled so I have to use the old style menu in order to get PA to compress a folder in the way I wish.
Just tried using the Modern (Windows 10) Icon set and seeing a few missing icons in both PowerArchiver Burner and PowerArchiver Encryption screens . They are all there in the Minimalistik icon set and the only difference I can see is the former is blue and the latter grey. In version 22.00.9
there were some security issues fixed in 7zip:
As it seems, that PowerArchiver and PACL use the 7zip libraries, could you please update them to the latest version?
I noticed that the version of ZPAQ used is older than the latest released 7.15 https://mattmahoney.net/dc/zpaq.html also there seems to be a newer fork that adds several features https://github.com/fcorbelli/zpaqfranz
It would be useful to implement this latest version (it also maintains the same syntax and behavior as the latest official release if used the -715 flag) and add when opening a zpaq file a choice of the version of the files to show (e.g. as dummy folders represented the various versions present). Since any previous changes are stored with this format, it is possible to extract a snapshot of a certain date/version.
If I open a password-protected zipper file (created with WinRAR but I think that’s irrelevant), open it with PowerArchiver and run “Remove Encryption” on the same file, then reopen it and add a password with “Encrypt Archive,” the resulting archive will be protected with the old ZipCrypto algorithm and not AES as indicated.
(this can be verified, for example, by trying to open the archive files with Windows Explorer, which does not support the AES algorithm)
No context menu for .zip files ?
When I updated in one of the last couple of versions I seemed to have lost the context menu when right-clicking on zip files. (I get no menu at all) This is only the case though when browsing from a standard windows “Open file dialog”. If I open an actual explorer window such as “My Documents” then it works as expected. All other files bring up the context menu just fine(.rar, exe, bat, …) . I’m using WIN XP Home SP2. I have all the standard archive formats associated with PA and the explorer shell option checked. Any ideas?
so works from explorer but not from Open file window? thats pretty strange.
You are using latest version of PA?
I’m using version 9.63.02. Seems a little weird to me too.
It seems like something has gotten messed up in the registry but I’m not really sure where to look?
maybe try installing it again? it will re-associate everything, if that is the problem.
Well, i tried uninstalling and and I still didn’t get a context menu for zip files. I then reinstalled PA and no luck still. I did notice this time that the zip icon was displaying in explorer but not in the Open file dialog.
So now I’m desparate and pulled up regedit and located any zip keys and had a delete fest :) I have it working again, but I’m not sure which entry fixed it. There were a few entries to zipfldr.dll that just seemed suspicious. I’m thinking the problem was somewhere in that area.
Anyway, after deleting the entries from the reg I reinstalled PA and everything seems to be fine now.
I believe I was getting the same symptoms on my laptop. I’ll try to narrow down which reg entry is actually causing the problem when I get around to restoring it.
Maybe it will be of some help if anyone runs into this.