Encryption not recognized in Windows XP

• I have created several encrypted archives on my machine at home. I tried taking one of them to work on my USB drive.

At work, I tried to open the archive. It opened fine. But when I try to access the files, and enter the password, nothing happens. It’s as if I am typing in a wrong password.

This even happens if I use Power Archiver 2000!

But if I use the shareware Power Archiver 2006 at work, all is well and it recognized the password.

Why do Windows, Winzip, and Power Archiver 2000 all not recognize the password I used in Power Archiver?

• use latest powerachiver

and if still having a problem can u send us the file and with password and we will try to see if it work usually it can mean either a had disk faliure at encryption or your password is wrong. JHave any of the file go separte passowords. i have had this problem.

can you tell us your system windows xp 200 etc and what version of pa u are using and what file types are in the file and passowrd and as much detail as you can please

• @ChrisSmith:

… Why do Windows, Winzip, and Power Archiver 2000 all not recognize the password I used in Power Archiver?

If you are trying Windows and WinZip, then I suppose you are creating a Zip archive ?
    Also, you say you encrypted it - not just passwrod protect.

I think Windows only supports the (old) Zip password scheme and not encrypted files (but I am not certain).

PA 2000 (version 6 ??) also only supported Zip password and did not support encryption.

So I can guess it may be the same problem with WinZip.

Which encryption method did you use?

@ChrisSmith:

… But if I use the shareware Power Archiver 2006 at work, all is well and it recognized the password.

So, problem solved :p

• conexware

WinZip will work fine as long as it is newer version of WZ, same with every other zip utility that supports PkZip 4.5 standards.

I am pretty sure that newer versions of Windows support it as well.

thanks,

• simple method did you encrypt with aes zip or pae encryption from the too bar menu in poawerarchiver as that format is not supported by windows.

Users

Topics