Download this ZIP file: http://dslstats.me.uk/files/dslstats32W-6.5.zip
Everything in the ZIP file is in a directory “dslstats32W-6.5”.
However when I extract using right click “Extract Here” the name of the directory created is “2W-6.5” !
I am running PA 22.00.09 on Windows 11. I have seen the same happen with some other kinds of archive too.
If I compress a folder to a .pa using right click, Compress to folder.pa and use the new Windows 11 menu then the Options, Configuration, Miscellaneous, Use normal relative path setting is always enabled.
But I like this option disabled so I have to use the old style menu in order to get PA to compress a folder in the way I wish.
Just tried using the Modern (Windows 10) Icon set and seeing a few missing icons in both PowerArchiver Burner and PowerArchiver Encryption screens . They are all there in the Minimalistik icon set and the only difference I can see is the former is blue and the latter grey. In version 22.00.9
there were some security issues fixed in 7zip:
As it seems, that PowerArchiver and PACL use the 7zip libraries, could you please update them to the latest version?
I noticed that the version of ZPAQ used is older than the latest released 7.15 https://mattmahoney.net/dc/zpaq.html also there seems to be a newer fork that adds several features https://github.com/fcorbelli/zpaqfranz
It would be useful to implement this latest version (it also maintains the same syntax and behavior as the latest official release if used the -715 flag) and add when opening a zpaq file a choice of the version of the files to show (e.g. as dummy folders represented the various versions present). Since any previous changes are stored with this format, it is possible to extract a snapshot of a certain date/version.
If I open a password-protected zipper file (created with WinRAR but I think that’s irrelevant), open it with PowerArchiver and run “Remove Encryption” on the same file, then reopen it and add a password with “Encrypt Archive,” the resulting archive will be protected with the old ZipCrypto algorithm and not AES as indicated.
(this can be verified, for example, by trying to open the archive files with Windows Explorer, which does not support the AES algorithm)
PA 21.00.18 running on Windows 7 64 bit.
I made a big .PA file and thought I’d check it was made correctly with Menu / Actions / Test.
a) PA always issues a UAC prompt to do this!
b) PA always says there are many errors in PA files.
Wrong failure message in password protected RAR files (PA 9.01)
if you enter a wrong password in
multivolume password protected RAR files
PA gives you a wrong failure message:
“There is a CRC error on archive xy
I think the correct Failure message must be
“The entered password is wrong, please try again.”
Otherwise the user really thinks his archive is broken !!!
I didn’t check if this bug also happens on ZIP archives. But maybe you can have a look at this problem ;)
it is not really an problem. When you enter wrong password for RAR archive, you end up with unusable file with bad crc, hence the bad crc message.
There is no real way to be sure that the password is actually wrong and archive has not been damaged instead. Even WinRar itself shows bad crc message, with small “bad password?” line. You simply cant be sure, since to be sure you would have to store password somewhere in the file and that would be very insecure.
We could check if we could change it so it shows possibility of bad password when unrar.dll sends us bad crc error code IF it is extracting from encrypted archive, however I am not sure if we have that flexibility within unrar.dll.
In any case, bad crc is actually correct error message which unrar.dll throws out when you enter bad password.
maybe you can modify the error message like in WinRAR and shows an additional phrase
“Probable you have enter a bad password”
so the user knows that there are 2 possible solutions for his problem
- bad password
- bad archive
this is a unrar.dll problem and should be reported in the winrar makers as its ther dll that is fault with the error message. Powerarchiver are only allowed to use the unrar.dll so they are bound by that code, hence the problem.