Shell extensions won´t work on 9.63.1

• Earlier this day, I have upgraded my PA from v. 9.62 to the newest 9.63.01 version. Since then, I can´t use shell extensions because it keeps doing odd things.

An example: I just right-click on a zip archive and select the “extract here” option. The extracting process suddenly stops at 0% with this error:

“Access violation at adress 006EDD5E in module POWERARC.EXE. Read of adress FFFFFF.”

If I open an archive in the main program browser window and want to extract it from there, everything is just fine.

The next problem is when I want to create an archive using the shell extensions (I tested both ZIP and 7-Zip formats). If I select a any file or folder and then click on the “Compress with options” feature, the dialog which should normally appear just blinks on the screen for like 0.5 sec. or so and is gone. If I want to compress something directly and choose “Compress into filename.zip” the window where the progress of creating the archive could be seen also disappears in about 0.5 sec. and NO archive is created.

I tried to reinstall the whole app. and also installed the hotfix avilable on this forum, but no success.

I use latest english version of PA 9.63.1 and english Windows XP SP2.

Thank you for any advice you could give me.

• conexware

Hi,

Can you check what is the date on shell extensions dll in your PA folder?

thanks,

• Well, it shows that it was last modified on:

Friday, July 21, 2006, 8:09:00 PM

Version: 9.6.1.3

• conexware

and all of the other files as well? Did you possibly install PowerArchiver in different folder or did you upgrade over old version?

Anyone else having similar issues? I cant reproduce it on our test computers.

thanks,

• I have installed over the old version. When the setup finished, I was asked to restart my computer, which I did.

After I had discovered this issues, I also removed PA completely and scanned registry and system for any parts that might have been left behind and I think I removed all of them. I restarted computer again and made a clean install but it didn´t help.

And the date and version of POWERARC.EXE exactly matches that of PASHLEXT.DLL.

There´s one more thing I´ve discovered. If I use shell extensions to encrypt a file, it works fine. It just seems that the “Add to archive” dialog and the “Progress” dialog aren´t working.

• conexware

does it happen with all archives or only some? What happens if you create brand new archive, with single file in it… does it work or?

thanks,

• conexware

James - try doing same operations you have issues with in C:\

does it work?

thanks,

• Ok, I´ve just created a test archive (ZIP) with only a single small txt file in it. It works only if I use Power Archiver´s main window to extract. (I double click the file, PA opens and then I click “Exctact” on the main toolbar). This way, it works w/o problems. But once I use shell extensions, it spits out the same error “Access violation at adress…”

James - try doing same operations you have issues with in C:\

Sorry, but could you give me some example, like what kind of issues within C:\ could it be?

• Well…this is interesting. I removed PA once more and made next clean installation. This time, I touched nothing in the progrm settings, didn´t even register it and just tried to add a single file into a ZIP archive using shell extensions. And it worked!

Then, I went step by step, configuring PA´s options and settings and every time I changed something, I checked whether shell extensions work or not. And I´ve discovered something. These problems occur right after I change the location of PA´s Temp folder (I don´t use the default). With the older version it had worked fine though.

• conexware

@James002:

Well…this is interesting. I removed PA once more and made next clean installation. This time, I touched nothing in the progrm settings, didn´t even register it and just tried to add a single file into a ZIP archive using shell extensions. And it worked!

Then, I went step by step, configuring PA´s options and settings and every time I changed something, I checked whether shell extensions work or not. And I´ve discovered something. These problems occur right after I change the location of PA´s Temp folder (I don´t use the default). With the older version it had worked fine though.

what is location of the temp folder you like to use?

thanks,

• what is location of the temp folder you like to use?

I use C:\Temp for most programs, including PA. Nevertheless I tried randomly created folders too and it didn´t work either. Once I used regedit and deleted the values containing the info on current Temp folder, it worked perfectly, w/o next re-installation.

• conexware

@James002:

I use C:\Temp for most programs, including PA. Nevertheless I tried randomly created folders too and it didn´t work either. Once I used regedit and deleted the values containing the info on current Temp folder, it worked perfectly, w/o next re-installation.

hmph, C:\Temp works great for me.

But hey, as long as it works for you know :-).

thanks,

• I don´t know what could be wrong. But yeah, as long as it works for me, it´s all good 🙂

Anyways, thank you for your time!

• Hi,

I have the same problem with the shell extensions. I just do not get any error messages. If I use the “Compress to xxx.zip” I get a ghosty image of the adding files dialog for half a second or so. I assume PA crashes.

I have already tried the engine update. I run Windows XP SP2 Pro english. english PA. Updated directly over 9.62.

Any news on this buggy behaviour???

• conexware

what is your temp folder?

Did you try compressing single file in C:?

• My temp folder was c:\working.

After restoring the default distribution values via the menu PA worked fine.

• I am also experiencing this issue and can confirm that it involves the temp file location. I was having the exact same problems, the access violations and non-working shell extensions. After reading this thread I changed the temp file location back to the default and it worked fine.

For those who want to use a different temp file location I believe as a workaround you can set it in the Windows TEMP environment variable and leave the location field in PowerArchiver blank. Everything should work then.

Hopefully they will fix this bug in the next release. 🙂

• conexware

hm, problem is that it works fine here.
    Where did you guys install PowerArchiver to? C:\ drive or?

thanks,

• conexware

can anyone of you switch back to custom folder, and see if it works? If it does not, export your PA registry settings and attach them to the thread?

thanks!

• Well, I changed back to C:\Temp, does not work.

Here is the reg file (I´ve changed the extension to the txt because this forum doesn´t support reg files).
    attachment_p_7775_0_pa.txt

Users

Topics