Is This A Spyware?

• :eek: After doing some Scanning with Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Professional, I got this :

• Its a false positive. PA does not contain spyware\adware\trojans despite what security applications report. You’ll see similar threads around the forum discussing the topic.

• PA is spyware free! 😃

I scanned with Spybot S&D and Yahoo anti-spyware with nothing found.

• thanks guys for the info. 🙂

• conexware

lol, that is bzip2 dll… Few reports like this makes you wonder about certain popular Antivirus and Anti-spyware companies.

• Hello, spwolf.

@spwolf:

lol, that is bzip2 dll… Few reports like this makes you wonder about certain popular Antivirus and Anti-spyware companies.

I have been a registered user of PowerArchiver since its very early days; in fact, I was in the first group of people to register and pay for PowerArchiver.

By coincidence, I ran Ad-Aware SE this morning, with the latest definitions, and received this same false positive:

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

SpywareSheriff Object Recognized!
        Type               : File
        Data               : LIBBZ2.DLL
        TAC Rating         : 4
        Category           : Misc
        Comment            : 
        Object             : C:\Program Files\PowerArchiver\

```I am writing to Lavasoft to point out this false positive.

I am always concerned about such false positives, because people can disable legitimate programs, such as PowerArchiver, if they don't take the time to think, or if they are inexperienced. :(

Spyware, viruses, and other malicious software are dangerous and serious problems, obviously, but I worry about people not investigating such alerts and then corrupting software or Windows itself.

I hope that ConeXware support is not flooded with pleas for help from people who took action against this "threat" because they do not realize that false positives are common.

Thanks!

Cordially,

David

• conexware

it is really not that big of an problem for us, but it could become if more and more AV & AntiSpyware vendors do such obvious mistakes.

It is really good for us that we have large userbase so these kinds of mistakes are usually fixed quite fast.

thanks for reporting it to them…

• conexware

Let us know if they fix this on monday.

thanks!

Users

Topics