Successfully spanning a file in 1GB chunks (7GB total size of a single file)

• Can someone help me properly set Powerarchiver to span a single ZIP (or whatever appropriate format) file that is over 7GB in size to be spanned as 1GB chunks so that I can burn them to DVD+R for storage?

I have a Athlon64 3000+, 1GB RAM, 250GB HD, and WinXP Pro.

I have successfully done it in a 4GB chunk ONCE but I could not do it again properly. Whenever I try again it always makes a single file instead of a spanned one.

I wanted (and did this ONE time) split the file onto the harddrive then burned the pieces onto DVD’s.

I set the file size to 1000000KB but it doesn’t work right - or the bar doesn’t show progress at all after 30 minutes (nor does the folder I set it to put the files go beyond about 50KB in size!!)

Thanks!

• conexware

you cant - you can re-compress the file in spans, and it will work fine. However, splitting tool does not work for files larger than 4 GB.

So, when you create zip file, you can set spans there and it will work just fine.

• Thank you for clearing that up ! 😃

I did it successfully using the preset 700MB chunks. Now I have to redo it as a 7-zip file because I knew from past years of experience (using WinZip though) that ZIP files are very unstable especially when distributed over the net - I never had a issue with 7-zip (and I enable the “Make Stable” option).

• @PoSeIdOnAs:

Now I have to redo it as a 7-zip file because I knew from past years of experience (using WinZip though) that ZIP files are very unstable especially when distributed over the net - I never had a issue with 7-zip (and I enable the “Make Stable” option).

Small question - what is the “Make Stable” option 😕

• 😃 Hehe i forgot what it was called…. its the “Create Solid Archive” option

• conexware

thanks

Users

Topics