Windows 10 pro - Explorer crashing

• I started having Windows explorer crash for no obvious reason, I even did a re-install of the OS. I could not replicate the exact action, that made explorer crash, it seems random. I have over time updated versions and today having check event logs I found “PASHLEXT64.DLL” to be at fault. I have uninstalled powarc170048 and are now trying powarc170050. below is copy of event log relating to crash.

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.14393.479, time stamp: 0x58258a90
    Faulting module name: PASHLEXT64.DLL_unloaded, version: 17.0.8.1, time stamp: 0x588786cc
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000f3970
    Faulting process id: 0x2fac
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d287e476cc7480
    Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
    Faulting module path: PASHLEXT64.DLL
    Report Id: d1e246b4-12e2-4de3-8e78-b45b3c4035e2
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

I hope this helps.

• Alpha Testers

I’ve seen instances of Windows Explorer restarting lately, noticeable by icons disappearing from notification area.
    I didn’t even think that PA may have been the cause of it, but yes looking in the events log I see the same report as you.
    Good catch.

• @Tyjen007

Add more crashes, running windows 10 pro 1607 build 14939.693.

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.14393.479, time stamp: 0x58258a90
    Faulting module name: PASHLEXT64.DLL_unloaded, version: 17.0.8.1, time stamp: 0x588786cc
    Exception code: 0xc000041d
    Faulting process id: 0x1624
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d28928b6e20165
    Report Id: 6f828dcc-1190-4b7a-bf66-ae79ee30646c

Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Faulting process id: 0x1624
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d28928b6e20165
    Report Id: 95f19e94-9eab-4890-99ef-2698208f5070

• conexware

@Tyjen007 @Luxor We have been playing with this lately, it should be a focus for one of the future builds. Until then, please check Shell options, and uncheck Enable Archive Hints and Enable Archive Property Sheets. That seems to be causing it, but it is hard to catch for now.

Please uncheck those and lets see what happens. Thank you!

• Alpha Testers

@spwolf said in Windows 10 pro - Explorer crashing:

We have been playing with this lately, it should be a focus for one of the future builds. Until then, please check Shell options, and uncheck Enable Archive Hints and Enable Archive Property Sheets. That seems to be causing it, but it is hard to catch for now.

Not helped by being so random I would imagine.

I think I’ve mostly noticed it happening after I have been using PA and my external usb drive at the same time. When I click on the usb icon in the notification area to remove the drive, that’s when it occurs.

Done!

• conexware

@Luxor said in Windows 10 pro - Explorer crashing:

We have been playing with this lately, it should be a focus for one of the future builds. Until then, please check Shell options, and uncheck Enable Archive Hints and Enable Archive Property Sheets. That seems to be causing it, but it is hard to catch for now.

Not helped by being so random I would imagine.

I think I’ve mostly noticed it happening after I have been using PA and my external usb drive at the same time. When I click on the usb icon in the notification area to remove the drive, that’s when it occurs.

Done!

yeah, it happens only sometimes. Did you have any occurance since you changed those options?

• Alpha Testers

Did you have any occurance since you changed those options?

Not so far, will probably have a better idea if it helps after a few days of use.

• conexware

Did you have any occurance since you changed those options?

Not so far, will probably have a better idea if it helps after a few days of use.

thanks, we will likely have a special debug for dll by end of next week.

• Alpha Testers

Three days of use with these changed options and no explorer crashes so far.

• conexware

Three days of use with these changed options and no explorer crashes so far.

good to know… next update will have these disabled in the code + soon enough I expect us to have debug dlls that give us hopefully enough information. Thanks!

• Just applied the directions will reboot and give it a few days testing before further comments. random crashing has been ongoing, hopefully this fix is the answer. Also of note in my case, “enable archive hints” was enabled so I disabled it. “enable archive property sheets” was already unchecked. So at present only “use explorer shell extensions” and enable explorer preview" are left enabled.

• conexware

@Tyjen007 please check patchbeam, fast ring update and you will get latest release - .55. It has these disabled internally, and lets see what happens. Thank s a lot!

• Alpha Testers

It has these disabled internally

Does that mean if we selected them that they would do nothing, or does it mean that if you have them selected it will deselect them?

• conexware

It has these disabled internally

Does that mean if we selected them that they would do nothing, or does it mean that if you have them selected it will deselect them?

It won’t do anything… Sometimes when you uncheck it, parts of code are still working since it is part of same dll. So this is truer off.

• Alpha Testers

@spwolf Thanks, it’s good to know these sort of things. 🙂

• 2-25-2017 11.44.47am crash…
    Exception code: 0xc000041d
    Faulting process id: 0x2ac4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d28f8399fd117c
    Report Id: e8f0bc40-6357-4c3b-a096-daabe711d702

Just checked shell extension options in PowerArchiver:
    check = use explorer shell extensions
    check = enable explorer preview
    uncheck = enable archive hints
    uncheck = enable archive property sheets.

I don’t use the preview pane in windows explorer at, I only use the details pane.
    I’m going to turn off the "enable explorer preview option in PowerArchiver and see if that stops the crashes. Will update.

• conexware

@Tyjen007 did you check latest .55 release via patchbeam?

• conexware

17.09.0 is latest dll, lets see what happens with that one. Thanks!

• Thank you I’ll try that version.

• conexware

we had report from @keith via email that we could be reproduced and could be similar to this… hopefully it is. Spent whole day troubleshooting it, we are getting closer but still not fixed. Maybe new build with fix tomorrow? We will see. Thanks for reports.

Users

Topics

Copyright © 1998-2018 ConeXware, Inc.
All rights reserved. Privacy Policy