Now that the Windows Store is making support for non-UWP apps mainstream, including those with their own update delivery process, it would be nice to see PowerArchiver in the Windows Store going forwards - at least as a channel for the product to be available.
In Windows 11 a new explorer context menu is introduced.
The “old” context menu may still be accessed through an additional mouse click, to reach the PowerArchiver context menu functions, but this isn’t comfortable at all.
Could you add PowerArchiver items to the first level (and ideally disable the Windows native ZIP entry)
I’d like to propose an improvement for password protected archives.
Actual behavior is:
If I open an archive, which is password protected and make a typo in the password dialog, I’ll get the message, that the password was wrong and I end up with an empty window. I need to reopen the archive to be able to enter the password again.
Tell me, that the password was wrong and give me the chance to enter the correct password to decrypt the archive.
I know I have been asking for this feature some time ago, but as nothing has changed let me ask again:
The ZIPX-format offers an algorithm, that compresses JPEG-files by about 20-30%. Please add compression (packing) support for this in ZIPX-archives to Powerarchiver. Extraction of JPEGs packed into ZIPX by this algorithm is already supported by Powerarchiver for a long time, so it should not be difficult? Or is it a licensing problem?
I’d like to suggest, that the correct archive type is (always) selected, when adding files by drag & drop to an archive.
This is already happening if the archive has the correct extension. For example, if I’m adding files to test.zip, zip will be selected. If I’m adding files to test.7z, 7z will be selected as format in “Add dialog”.
But this won’t be working, if the archive has not the “right” extension.
So XPI files (Firefox addons) for example are ZIP files. PowerArchiver opens them without any problems, but if I try to add file by drag & drop, PowerArchiver won’t auto select “ZIP”, but use the last selected archive format, while PowerArchiver already knows, that I’m trying to add files to a ZIP.
I love this, only there is one problem. The UAC elevation feature does not extend to Mount Image option in the add-on software PA provided. It is most annoying whenever I am on highest UAC settings and I mount an ISO, every time I open and create a virtual drive UAC appears. I also do not want to completely disable UAC.
Is adding UAC elevation for mount image feature possible?
I noticed that when I want to run the Virtual Drive for the first time inside the PowerArchiver Burner it prompts to download it form the internet.
I was wondering, would it be OK to include this utility straight into the offline installer to be able to set it up locally?
How about recognising a few more (or all) of the file formats that are basically renamed zip files and treating them is if they are zip files.
For instance Android .apk files are just renamed .zip files.
Libreoffice/Openoffice ODF documents are all, as far as I am aware, just renamed .zip files. (.odt, .ott, .ods, .ots, .odp, .otp, .odb, .odf etc.)
Would it be possible at all in some future version perhaps, to have a “find file” function?
Reason I ask is that I was looking for a certain file I knew existed in an archive, but I had to unzip it then use another tool to find the file. It would have saved that extra step if that function existed in PA itself.
Is there a way to enable the user to encrypt the files inside a ZIPX archive that has already been created?
This could save time for large archives that the user may need to encrypt at a later stage or that he/she has forgotten to enable encryption before creating the archive,
I would like to see a new feature implemented: a ‘Fast Extract’ Mode.
Currently PowerArchiver extracts files to a temporary directory and then moves them to the target directory chosen by the user. At least via drag and drop.
This can be both time consuming and needs free space on the system drive for large files.
Is there a way to directly extract files to the target directory with PowerArchiver?
And if not, can a feature like this be considered for future updates?
Thanks very much!
I believe it would be useful to implement Serpent-256 encryption for PAE/PAE2 formats, even though PowerArchiver offers strong encryption ciphers already.
(deleted part advertising other software - admin)
Do you think this will be a useful addition?
Thank you for the consideration!
I think it would be a great option to make the portable version of PowerArchiver compatible with PortableApps (i.e. adding the necessary files and folders to integrate it smoothly into their structure).
I own various other commercial programmes which -when installed in portable mode- offer to make the becessary changes without needing an extra installer or the official PortableApps repos.
Thanks for opinions or perhaps even a realization of this.
Some oldies but goodies
Over the years, you have made any number of improvement that I proposed. For that I am VERY grateful.
Others may be undoable . . . either technically or because of copyright restrictions…
But here’s some I can quickly recall:
Proposals I can recall:
1. Keep a list somewhere of what items you have entered in your to-do list from user input. It lets participants know you have heard our concerns, find them meritorious, and plan to address them. Then we can be confident that they will be done, if feasible. And we do not feel the need to remind you.
2. A slew of concerns with profiles. These are potentially powerful tool that give the user the ability to shape PA for our particular needs (which will vary from person to person).
a. Some particular glitches I recently reported (and assume there are on the todo list.
b. Adding the ability for users to add their particular profiles to the shell (so one doesn’t have just compress to zip, but “Compress to Mole’s sculpted zipx profile".).
3. if possible, have the system detect whether an existing archive into which the an user wants to place a file is already encrypted, and so select by default the encrypted version of that format and profile.
4. Give the option for the user to move (rather than just copy) a file into an archive by some key combo (Ctrl while D&D).
5. Some changes to AC (10-8-2013). . . but most of these may already be in the pipeline.
6. Add encrypt filenames to every add window where that is a technical option.
7. Add more options (like encrypt filenames) to PBS backup scripts.
8. ZTE with more particular options (# of downloads, time for download etc.) for each use of ZTE.
9. Any chance to use SFX with PAE files?
10. Speed upload to cloud (e.g., DropBox)
11. When using ZTE with multiple files, let the minimum setting for using ZTE be determined by the TOTAL size of the collective files rather than each file individually.
12. . In FTP, use the same way of indicating file size in both panes (so it is easier to determine if the upload was successful).
RJWaring last edited by
Cloud application is actually very good, i would like to see this expanded on and improved.
Not sure exactly what you could do but when you look at onedrive and dropbox etc there are plenty of options for you.
Richard, you better add some of your wishes as well…
guido last edited by
Microsoft Windows 10 for mobile Powerarchiver 2016 Toolbox the luxe edition!