Remembering previous setting

• Banned

Some time ago I asked for a feature.

You added something akin to that feature. Now it seems to have disappeared.

When I add files to encrypted archives, I wanted it to “know” that it was encrypted, and have the encryption option set by default.

You didn’t really do that. But you did add a feature which supposedly remembered the previous setting for ANY archive (which is not quite what I was hoping for).

For whatever reason, it doesn’t remember that setting anymore.

Ideas?

• conexware

in what window? Drag and Drop, Main Add window, etc?
    If I remember correctly, it saved last state for Encrypted option… I know it works in main add window here because I have been testing encryption and noticed it stays on… thanks

• Banned

I almost always used D&D.

I had hoped for a fix that detected whether the files in the archive were encrypted.

What you did was almost as good. It remember the settings not of each archive, but the last archive I used.

Most of my A are encrypted; a few or not. Even when it was working at its best, once I used an non-archived one, I then had to go into each encrypted A and resent it to enabled/256.

Recently, that feature appears to disappear. I had to use a non-E A yesterday. Then, no matter what I did, I could not get the default to return to encrypted. I made additions to a dozen encrypted files (even to then just remove the added file), each time selecting that I wanted the new file E.

No luck.

BTW, it also doesn’t remember the compression style (deflate, optimized, etc.)

A re-install over the existing version didn’t help.

Since I have your attention, let me reiterate one other wish. Have an option to move, and not just copy, and D&D-ed file onto an archive (say, hold down the shift key when dragging and dropping).

• conexware

@Socrates:

I almost always used D&D.

I had hoped for a fix that detected whether the files in the archive were encrypted.

What you did was almost as good. It remember the settings not of each archive, but the last archive I used.

Most of my A are encrypted; a few or not. Even when it was working at its best, once I used an non-archived one, I then had to go into each encrypted A and resent it to enabled/256.

Recently, that feature appears to disappear. I had to use a non-E A yesterday. Then, no matter what I did, I could not get the default to return to encrypted. I made additions to a dozen encrypted files (even to then just remove the added file), each time selecting that I wanted the new file E.

No luck.

BTW, it also doesn’t remember the compression style (deflate, optimized, etc.)

A re-install over the existing version didn’t help.

Since I have your attention, let me reiterate one other wish. Have an option to move, and not just copy, and D&D-ed file onto an archive (say, hold down the shift key when dragging and dropping).

can you save your settings in Options, 7z them and send to support? I want to check with your options since it seems to work fine here.

• Banned

I did a complete uninstall and a reinstall. Still the same.

So it must have been a setting I changed by accident.

If you can give me the registry key, I could change it manually.

BTW, I did install PACL (which I would probably never use). any chance?

• conexware

@Socrates:

I did a complete uninstall and a reinstall. Still the same.

So it must have been a setting I changed by accident.

If you can give me the registry key, I could change it manually.

BTW, I did install PACL (which I would probably never use). any chance?

i will check tomorrow with official release… what version are you using, 12.12.03 or?

• Banned

the latest

• conexware

Thanks for sending in your settings!
    Just tested them and it seems to work like spwolf mentioned, where settings are saved from previous compression job(i think this is how PA has always handled it)
    While Socrates would like to have each opened archive’s settings remembered/scanned so that they appear by default when that archive is opened, right?

if that’s so, we can log that in as a feature request

• Banned

Very odd in lots of ways.

I did not remember them for a long time.

Then Spywolf said the feature was added at my request. And it did seem to work.

But not for 2-3 weeks.

I HAD hoped that it would recognize if PA “knew” that an archive was encrypted. But the change was moving in the right direction.

But not more.

It also won’t remember the compression settings.

Where is this store in an ini file or a registry entry . . . I will try to fix it manually.

• conexware

Socrates - check if you have 12.12 or 12.50…. you used to have alpha release before.

Mili - it is supposed to remember last used encryption setting in drag and drop.

• Banned

• Banned

It must be the settings.

Having exactly the same behavior on my laptop.

Very odd.

• conexware

How exactly are you adding the files?
    Maybe we are trying something different than you?

• Banned

Always drag and drop.

Since it is showing up on both computers, I bet it is the settings somehow.

• conexware

so archive is opened in PA, you drag and drop from explorer to opened window… zip archive, aaes256?

• Banned

No. Just D&D from explorer.

• conexware

so d&d to what? empty PA window? PA icon?

many options 🙂

• Banned

Sorry. I thought it was obvious. Icon.

But I think I tried it on an open PA window (though I never do that normally) and the same thing happened.

But it WAS working a few weeks ago.

If it were just on one computer, I would think it is something else. But since it is on both, I am inclined to think it is a setting.

Again, if this is stored in a registry setting, I can change it.

• conexware

i tried everything with your settings and it all worked fine… i will check with dev team tomorrow where is that setting saved exactly.

• conexware

did you try options> profiles> zip and setting encryption there?

Users

Topics