Moving, as well as copying files AND
(1) I realize that I can use drag and drop to copy files to an archive.
Could you add the option of holding down the Shift key and MOVING the files to an archive?
(2) Could the archive remember that it includes only encrypted files?
Now when I drag a file onto an archive of all encrypted files, the encryption option is disabled (the default). I have to reset that option. This change, if easily done, would save a step.
[Since all 3 suggestions concern dragging and dropping, I thought I should put them all in the same thread. Sorry if I erred.]
3. It would be helpful, if the user could press a key when dragging and dropping to make the archive open; otherwise, the file would just be inserted in the archive without opening it.
Sometimes I simply want to add (copy or move) a file to an existing archive. If so, I don’t need or want the archive to open. Other times I want it to open ('cause there is some option I wish to change).
Now I can determine that globally.
Why not let the default be to add the file without opening the archive. Then, if the user also presses, say, the Alt key, while dragging and dropping, then the archive would open.
Thanks for your suggestions, to address #3;
If you’d like to do that PA lets you do it very easily.
In Windows explorer simply drag the file you want to add to the archive over the icon/filename of the archive you want to add to and voila!
The add dialog will appear for you to choose your options, click add and file is added without opening the archive.
I realize that I can set it so that PA will open. But then it ALWAYS opens, even if I don’t want it to. What I was wishing for was a way to have it open if I want and not open if I want (i.e., just add the file).
I don’t know how easy this would be to implement.
smart ideas, I am not sure can we get those actions from drag and drop event (if someone is holding alt for instance while drag and dropping), but we will check it out… thank you!
Any progress on these ideas?
Perhaps I put too many related ideas into a single post. If so, let me rank them (in part by what I think would be ease of implementation):
(1) the ability to MOVE and not just COPY a file into an existing archive, using, e.g., the Windows 7 standard: Holding down the shift key while dragging and dropping COPIES it; otherwise, it moves it. The PA default is to copy the file into the archive.
(2) the ability to set preferences to open or not open the archive before moving / copying.
(3) the ability to detect whether the items in the current archive are encrypted. If they are, PA assume the user will want to encrypt new files as well. If not, it assumes the user doesn’t want to encrypt it.
right now priority is getting PA 2011 finished and publish, but we will start work on 12.01/12.10 soon after, so keep writing them in.
Sorry to be dense,
I am not sure if you want me to repost later . . . or if you are just letting me know if it will be a while (which I fully understand).
it will be after official 12.00, but keep posting ideas when you think of them, dont let me discourage you