Encrypted default password .exe in context menu

• Hello out there
    PA 2009 Pro
    I would like to have following feature under my RMB:

add one or more files
    to an encrypted, password file with extension .exe
    with a defaulted password
    (password that I have configured in PA)

so: select 5 files - RMB - zip to EXE - that is pw protected. only question is: what filename …

In fact, it should also be made possible to have a default name: like PA-Archive-001, 002, etc.

brgds

• Should be in wishlist 😃
    Anyway I think there are two interesting points:

• access to SFX wizard via shell menu
    • for SFX defaults; maybe add an SFX profile?

However, I’m not sure about default password for encryption - doesn’t this defeat (or at least drastically reduce the security) of using encryption?

• I have suggested support dept to have an tag/untag option to use a default password for all encrypted files.

Shd users wish to enter a password for each and every file - then PA shd offer that option (untag default pw).

I think, over time one tends to forget different passwords: imagine you have a dozen different passwords … one needs to think hard what password has been used for that 2 years old file 🙂

brgds

• @wulffra:

I have suggested support dept to have an tag/untag option to use a default password for all encrypted files.

Shd users wish to enter a password for each and every file - then PA shd offer that option (untag default pw).

I think, over time one tends to forget different passwords: imagine you have a dozen different passwords … one needs to think hard what password has been used for that 2 years old file 🙂

brgds

Yes, but if you can’t remember the password after long time - why use one at all on files which are for storage?

Having a default password (which is stored in PA or other utility) seems to be no more secure than no password to me and if your pc/program crashes and burns then you have the same problem anyway i.e. “what was the password I configured two years ago and haven’t entered since?”

I suppose it depends on your reason(s) for wanting to use password on an archive/backup in first place, but even if added I would expect this option to be DIS-abled in default.

• That’s why I suggested to have this as an option: either use the default password for all zips or let users decide to add different pw’s for the different zipfles.

For quite some stuff I have the same password and they are basically meant to avoid stuff being read the chance the pc is left unattended (or may be under repair).

Well, anyway …

Users

Topics